4K transcoding slow?

IceBoosteR

IceBoosteR

Hi everyone,

I am wondering why the playback of a 4K movie is lagging. So this is just a general question, not a real problem as this does not happen very often.

So I am running Emby as a docker container on my Intel NUC (Intel Pentium Silver J5005, 4x 1.50GHz, 4MB Cache, 10W TDP) and enabled VAAPI for hardware acceleration. I see lags during the playback of the transcoding, but coul not see a performance issue on the server side.

I have attached a screenshot from the server. As you can see, CPU is somewhere to 30% usage, and VAAPI is used aswell. The transcode log is also attached.

I do only try to understand why thr playback is lagging, and how I could improve this.

Thank you :)

post-277621-0-56872500-1546165859_thumb.png

transcode.txt

This should perform better with the next release, but yes, transcoding 4k content will be slower than 1080p.

IceBoosteR

This should perform better with the next release, but yes, transcoding 4k content will be slower than 1080p.

Of course it does, but I have not seen the "WHY" (CPU to slow for example). I am looking forward to that release

disable vaapi

I can try that but I am sure I have tried that in the past (last month?) and it did not change....

The current release only uses VAAPI for encoding. The next release will also use it for decoding, and will improve the encoding process for it.

• Like 1

IceBoosteR

The current release only uses VAAPI for encoding. The next release will also use it for decoding, and will improve the encoding process for it.

Awesome. therefore I will wait for that release and test again. :)