Pre-transcode audio only (4K content)

BloodyIron

Same with resolution.

For HDR, we need to stream copy the original video, and I already addressed that earlier when i mentioned that we need to add new profile options to the convert feature.

• Like 1

BloodyIron

Okay so a new profile would handle that then. It didn't really come across that is how you planned to address it.

Is there any scenario where I can Direct Play HEVC content to a Chromecast with 3.5.3?

Thanks for your help with this btw :)

Same with resolution.

For HDR, we need to stream copy the original video, and I already addressed that earlier when i mentioned that we need to add new profile options to the convert feature.

Is there any scenario where I can Direct Play HEVC content to a Chromecast with 3.5.3?

yes, there already is, when the media you're playing is natively supported by your chromecast device.

BloodyIron

Okay, but one of my sample videos appears to be fully nativley supported by my Chromecast Ultra (built into my TV), and yet it transcodes, hence my confusion in a scenario. This video has HEVC 4k HDR + AAC 2 channel, which looks to me like it meets spec...

Thoughts?

yes, there already is, when the media you're playing is natively supported by your chromecast device.

BloodyIron

I think perhaps you lost track, it's in this very thread -> https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/67147-pre-transcode-audio-only-4k-content/?p=669051

Are you sure you would prefer I report this elsewhere? We already have a dialogue here and you're already familiar with what I've been trying.

BloodyIron

Okay, so let me just double-check my understanding with you.

1. It sounds like you're agreeing it _should_ have played back Direct Play, instead of transcoding. While I know you didn't say that, you're acting like it. Do you agree it _should_ have Direct Play'd?
  2. Assuming the above, what you want me to do is reproduce the playback that is Transcoding instead of Direct Playing, and file a bug report around that process (with logs, etc). Is that correct?

Or am I misunderstanding something here?  :wacko:

But that output is MediaInfo output. That is not the requested information from a playback session.

BloodyIron

Okay I'll try to hammer that out for you soon :)

I'm saying i don't know until I see the requested information in my link above.

Sorry, scratch that. I know the reason. Chromecast does not allow AAC 5.1. About six months ago they removed support for it due to licensing reasons.

BloodyIron

Well, my first attempt was AAC 5.1. But I did a second audio transcode (remux?) to 2-channel, which also triggered the transcode.

So, shouldn't it have licensing for AAC 2.0?

Sorry, scratch that. I know the reason. Chromecast does not allow AAC 5.1. About six months ago they removed support for it due to licensing reasons.

BloodyIron

Okay well I'll file the report for that one.

On another related point, since AAC 5.1 isn't in Chromecast any more (OKAY WUT thanks Google), these new Convert profiles, can we get an option for Audio to convert/demux/transcode to FLAC? So we can retain X# channels, for those of us mad about quality.

Yes AAC 2.0 should be fine.