Any other solutions to HTPC to completely avoid transcoding and playback issues?

gnollo

The wiki page for each app goes over what is supported:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Transcoding

The menu of apps is on the right hand side, closer to the bottom. Thanks.

I had checked this before and it's not super clear which formats are supported by Emby on for example my Android TV, a Sony x8509C. I know that for example H264, AC3 1080p in an MKV container is supported in direct play on plex, and seems to be on Emby. I know that HEVC 1080p TrueHD 7.1 only needs to convert the audio in plex. What I can't figure out is what container etc is supported for direct play for 4K. Is there a cheat sheet something like :

• Container: MP4
  • Resolution: 3840x2160 or smaller
  • Video Encoding: HEVC (H.265)
  • Video Frame Rate: 30fps
  • Video Bit Depth: 8

Or perhaps something in the logs that would point to what is causing the server to want to try transcoding?

Any help would be ace.

So the android tv app depends heavily on what is natively supported by the device you're playing from. That's why it doesn't have a specific list.

If we can look at a specific example, we can explain more. Thanks.

Did you compare this file to what is listed as supported in the wiki?

Yes. According to the wiki section linked specifically for the fire tv, my avi with no subs and mp3 audio should play

Direct Play Media Formats

Video — m4v,3gp,ts,mpegts,mov,xvid,vob,mkv,wmv,asf,ogm,ogv,m2v,avi,mpg,mpeg,mp4,webm Subtitles - srt,vobsub,ssa,pgs,pgssub,ass,sub,vtt Audio – flac,aac,mp3,mpa,wav,wma,mp2,ogg,oga,webma,ape,ac3 (Dolby Digital)

I'm using a Vero 4k in combination with Kodi "direct play" so technically i can't ever get anything transcoded.

What also works is using MrMC on Apple TV as an alternative to the Vero 4k.

Unless I'm missing a trick though the ui and search functionality on both, including genre and favourites is vastly inferior to Emby? I have MrMC but I don't like the UI

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Burrito78

Unless I'm missing a trick though the ui and search functionality on both, including genre and favourites is vastly inferior to Emby? I have MrMC but I don't like the UI

Emby integration on MrMc is VERY basic, yes. But native playback without transcoding should work pretty well.

Using the "Emby for Kodi" Addon, the Emby library is synced and replaces the Kodi library on startup. So you are missing a few Emby "native" features but Kodi should work exactly like it would with local content.

Edited by Burrito78

Emby integration on MrMc is VERY basic, yes. But native playback without transcoding should work pretty well.

Using the "Emby for Kodi" Addon, the Emby library is synced and replaces the Kodi library on startup. So you are missing a few Emby "native" features but Kodi should work exactly like it would with local content.

Thanks, so far the problem is only seen with a handful of old movies, I'm reripping those. I hardly rewatch old films, and it's easy enough to correct small issues. Would not be reripping 5000 movies though...

Do you need a sample of the file?

Sure that would be great for @@ebr's testing. Thanks !

gnollo

The AVI container is a problem as it isn't supported by the player in the app.

yep that figures and i can confirm that is the case on two separate versions of fire TV. i have over 2500 avi files on my server. Does the ATV play them without requiring transcoding? What files dos the ATV NOT play?

Have you checked out our media convert feature? This can help you automate the process of converting them to mp4. Thanks.

gnollo

Have you checked out our media convert feature? This can help you automate the process of converting them to mp4. Thanks.

Sorry but I would rather not convert and test 2500 files to make sure that the conversion has taken place successfully before I delete the old format files. I am sure I am not alone in this. If this mean that I have to buy another device, to play AVI files, I am happy to explore that. My question is, can the Apple TV play those files? Because my IPAD can, without transcoding.

But, the Apple TV will not support things like DTS audio without conversion.  If you are looking for broad compatibility, I would not be looking at Apple as that is simply not an emphasis for their platforms.  If you have other reasons for preferring the Apple that is fine but since this thread was specifically about broad compatibility, I wanted to mention that.

gnollo

But, the Apple TV will not support things like DTS audio without conversion. If you are looking for broad compatibility, I would not be looking at Apple as that is simply not an emphasis for their platforms. If you have other reasons for preferring the Apple that is fine but since this thread was specifically about broad compatibility, I wanted to mention that.

I'm looking for:

- high WAF factor, Netflix, streaming TV channels and Prime integrated in a slick UI. I believe this cuts out the SHIELD TV

- best 4k streaming capability to connect with a 65 inches Sony OLED. The ATV has the lead here

- capability to play all the movies on the Emby server without server transcoding. Right now my iPad plays dts Avis without any server transcoding, so in I'm guessing it happens locally? I'm ok with that. Other apps can pass DTS on the the ATV at the moment BTW

Is there a beta for the ATV emby version in the works? Would love to do some testing.

Burrito78

AFAIK that box doesn't exist. 

Prepare to read a lot in this forum: https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112

Personally i think that the Vero 4K+ with Kodi 18 would be best for you. But its not really "slick" like an Apple TV is.

Android isn't there yet to be an reliable media player, imho - but it will be in the future.

If you have to buy today, the answer is Shield TV anyway.

Edited by Burrito78

- high WAF factor, Netflix, streaming TV channels and Prime integrated in a slick UI. I believe this cuts out the SHIELD TV

What in that list eliminates the Shield?

Other apps can pass DTS on the the ATV at the moment BTW

What app do you have that bitstreams DTS on the Apple TV?

I'm not trying to push you towards the Shield or anything else.  It is just that this thread is about wide compatibility and Apple never has been and is still not about that.  Apple works will with what Apple wants to :).

CBers

Android isn't there yet to be an reliable media player

Of course it is.

I use my Shield every day for media consumption.

I also have friends and family happily using either a Shield or Nexus Player.

CBers

The Shield can do all of that.

- best 4k streaming capability to connect with a 65 inches Sony OLED. The ATV has the lead here

My Shield plays back on my LG 4K OLED without issues.

Burrito78

Of course it is.

I use my Shield every day for media consumption.

I also have friends and family happily using either a Shield or Nexus Player.

It depends how someone defines "reliable". Its just so that devs have much more control of the whole package (OS+apps) on a linux based box. With Android they have to work with what Google gives them (or takes away). For most users, Android is probably fine.

gnollo

What in that list eliminates the Shield?

What app do you have that bitstreams DTS on the Apple TV?

I'm not trying to push you towards the Shield or anything else. It is just that this thread is about wide compatibility and Apple never has been and is still not about that. Apple works will with what Apple wants to :).

Fair play, I don't own either boxes, only two FireTV boxes, so I am only basing my guesstimate on second hand reading.

Good to know that Shield is also slick.

I'm testing MrMC on the FIRE HD box as a front end for my Emby server and it plays avi files and passes through DD and DTS to my amp. Genres, watched and titles work with all my metadata, but search, actors and favorites don't work yet.

gnollo

Tried to use MrMC as external player but no luck so far. I can select the player which opens but the movie won't start.

gnollo

Have also tested VLC as external player, it plays avis, DD and DTS tracks but seems to convert them to stereo signal.