Moving from Plex DVR to Emby DVR.

TheDetective

TheDetective

Ok, so I'm thinking about moving from Plex to Emby. The main thing holding me back is that I've been recording a lot of full TV series using Plex. Is there a way I could just pick up where I left off with Emby and not re record all the episodes I've already recorded?

PenkethBoy

Yes

in the LiveTV>Series tab - select your (Recording) series detail screen and make sure that

5c22a537864d3_Capture.jpg

the check box is enabled - IIRC it is by default

TheDetective

Awesome! Thanks for the info. By the way, how reliable has the record engine been for your? At first, Plex was really buggy and I would get a lot of incomplete recordings, but for the last several months it's been solid. I'm thinking about a move to Emby over the generally poor Android experience I've had with Plex. I'm using HD Homerun Quatro and an Antenna.

Edited by TheDetective

kanipek

Recording reliability will vary by user I think.

For me using ClearQAM CATV it is nearly 100% -very rare I have any issue with a recording firing at the correct time and ending at the correct time. I do occasionally have issues with the recording itself quality wise --not much can be done if there are issues with the signal from the CATV provider, again pretty rare. I am using the Beta server occasionally an issue will creep in that effects recordings, not unexpected when using a beta product though. 

PenkethBoy

For me with HD Homerun and Hauppauge tuners - very reliable

If you set it up correctly then you should have minimal issues

jasonmcroy

I haven't seen any issues with Emby's recording ability. The only "issue" I had was really user error. I hadn't set one of my HDHomerun Tuners with a static IP address on my network and when the address changed for some reason after a router reboot Emby didn't record anything from that tuner. But again, it was more user error although my other DVR I use dynamically picked up the new IP address. Since then I have set all my tuners with a static IP so that doesn't happen again.

FWIW I had a lot of issues with Emby DVR - it seems like it would fail to release the tuners on a regular basis meaning that recordings and live TV would fail completely until the Emby server was restarted.

That's with a Hauppauge WinTV QuadHD, Windows, on both the Stable and BETA server releases.

Edited by Tawmu