Post Processing Script, Chapters, Commercials

sfatula

sfatula

So, I've been experimenting with post processing. But not with the officlal Emby settings to run post processing script, just externally.

So, I use comchap to add commercial chapters to the recorded ts file from OTA. I can't use an output ts file as those do not support chapters, so, make it an mp4. Say the file was named 'The Flash 2018_11_27_19_00_00 - O Come, All Ye Thankful.ts' I end up with 'The Flash 2018_11_27_19_00_00 - O Come, All Ye Thankful.ts.mp4'.

Now, after replacing the file in emby folder, I can't play the video, I guess emby didn't detect the new filename for a while. Later, it eventually plays again.  However, in IOS at least. I see no way to navigate chapters, is there a way, and if so, how!

A few questions though when I do use a post-processing script:

1. What happens to nfo data since the file ends up having a different extension? Or, perhaps generating it happens after post-processing?

2. What happens to any previously generated bif files?

3. If chapter image extraction had already run on the original file, will it rerun to detect the new chapters?

4. Is there a way to force immediate detection that the filename has changed?  Realtime monitoring is enabled.

How can I make this work better. The idea is once an OTA recording is made, it should add the commercial chapters, and ideally, be playable soon thereafter with the new file extension, and, I should be able to navigate the chapters on Apple TV and IOS and Roku. 

I don't see how to skip to the next chapter on IOS though. 

If the filename changes then all of those things will need to be generated again. You could try running a library scan and letting emby handle it. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

sfatula

Thats interesting you should say that. In all the messages about commercial removal techniques and scripts, etc., I don't see any mention of these details.

If there is a post processing script, my suggestion is you should not do anything with the new recording until the post processing script terminates. Could you perhaps do that?

bif files can be managed by schedule, at least for me. So, that should not be an issue. I do wish bif files could somehow be leveraged for non Roku clients to use for scrolling through a video...

Chapter image extraction, well not sure it's useful enough for shows (though I am adding chapters, they are easily used in TVOS), so, maybe I won't worry about that either.

So, my remaining questions:

1. Will realtime monitoring actually also detect the file extension change perhaps?
  2. Is there a way to navigate chapters on the IOS client, if so, I can't seem to find it!

Yes the realtime monitor can detect the file rename.

There's currently no in-video chapter navigation on iOS. You just have to use the seek bar. It's an area that we need to improve on. Thanks !

sfatula

So, comchap works pretty good. Seems like. better choice than actually removing commercials since in case of error, there is nothing actually cut, just chapters added. I find the bif file still works on Roku (though there is also no chapter navigation there either yet). 

I wish the IOS client showed the Roku bifs as part of it's seek bar so one could more easily skip to the right place instead of guessing. Is this changed on the new player?

Edited by sfatula