HDHomerun Extend vs connect

chuga

Hi,

I just had a HDHR extend die on me and getting ready to replace it.  My understanding is the reason to get an extend is that it is better for streaming to wireless devices (phones, etc) as it transcodes.

My question is - if using Emby to stream liveTV versus the HDHomerun App does emby transcode?  If so I would go with the HDHR connect model as my emby server is a wired connection to my HDHRs.

thanks

mastrmind11

Hi,

I just had a HDHR extend die on me and getting ready to replace it.  My understanding is the reason to get an extend is that it is better for streaming to wireless devices (phones, etc) as it transcodes.

My question is - if using Emby to stream liveTV versus the HDHomerun App does emby transcode?  If so I would go with the HDHR connect model as my emby server is a wired connection to my HDHRs.

thanks

Emby will transcode when/if necessary.

ok thanks - I knew it transcoded movies when streaming to mobile devices but was not sure if it did for liveTV.

So if I use emby app for LiveTV there would be no reason to pay extra for HDHR Extend correct?   just the HDHR Connect?

mastrmind11

ok thanks - I knew it transcoded movies when streaming to mobile devices but was not sure if it did for liveTV.

So if I use emby app for LiveTV there would be no reason to pay extra for HDHR Extend correct?   just the HDHR Connect?

correct.  i use a Prime to stream live tv all the time.  only reason I can think of for getting an Extend is if you're running emby on something that doesn't have the juice to do transcoding.

• 2 weeks later...
BillOatman

The reason to get a extend is for it to do the hardware transcoding.  This leaves server resources free to do other things.  If you have server horsepower to spare, then a connect will probably be fine.  For me, I'd rather take as much load off of the server as possible with my kids using it now to watch IPTV, movies,  as well as HDHR content.