Multiple versions = Multiple posters

nigelpb

Like many using Emby for the first time I am a long time Plex user & have my Movie library already named & curated for Plex. In Plex multiple versions of the same movie e.g. 1080p, 720p etc are detected & just one poster is displayed & the client is able to choose between versions however in Emby I have multiple posters.

In Plex even if the versions are not contained in the same folder they are still recognised. I have now followed the Emby Wiki & created a folder to contain the various versions then named the versions with the beginning of the filename as the folder name but still have multiple posters. My server is running on Ubuntu 16.04.5 LTS but I suspect that this is a generic Emby server problem.

Annoyingly even with the two posters there is no simple way of distinguishing between the versions. For example for many movies I have a 10-15GB 1080p Blu-ray rip & a 30-45GB 1080p Blu-ray Remux & depending on network performance I want to choose between them but the only way is to click on each of the posters in turn then scroll down to the very detailed video & audio information when what the user wants is to see the bit rate at the top level. The same would apply between 1080p & 720p.

The Wiki says:-

Multiple versions of the same content can be stored in a single movie folder.

/Movies

/300
    /300 - 1080p.mkv
    /300 - 720p.mp4
    /300 - extended edition.mp4
    /300 - directors cut.mp4
    /300 - 3D.hsbs.mp4

/300 [720p].mp4

BTW So far I like Emby. It looks good & performs well but it's going to be little irritations like this poor handling of multiple versions that will prevent me using it in preference to Plex.

chowbok

How do you have your files named? Emby should actually be handling it the way you want. Can you post a directory listing of one of the movies this is happening with?

How do you have your files named? Emby should actually be handling it the way you want. Can you post a directory listing of one of the movies this is happening with?

Mission.Impossible.Fallout.2018

Mission.Impossible.Fallout.2018.1080p.BluRay.REMUX.AVC.DTS-HD.MA.TrueHD.7.1.Atmos-FGT.mkv

Mission.Impossible.Fallout.2018.1080p.BluRay.x264.TrueHD.7.1.Atmos-FGT.mkv

Mission.Impossible.Fallout.2018

Mission.Impossible.Fallout.2018.1080p.BluRay.REMUX.AVC.DTS-HD.MA.TrueHD.7.1.Atmos-FGT.mkv

Mission.Impossible.Fallout.2018.1080p.BluRay.x264.TrueHD.7.1.Atmos-FGT.mkv

This example is missing the required naming with the dashes as mentioned in the wiki. Can you try changing to that? Thanks !

This example is missing the required naming with the dashes as mentioned in the wiki. Can you try changing to that? Thanks !

Perfect! That fixed it.

Now I have to decide whether I want to go through my whole library creating folders & renaming files accordingly. It's nice to know that I can accomplish the task but it's a shame that it isn't handled transparently like Plex does it. 

Sorry, you must be sick to death of constant comparison with Plex :)

mastrmind11

Perfect! That fixed it.

Now I have to decide whether I want to go through my whole library creating folders & renaming files accordingly. It's nice to know that I can accomplish the task but it's a shame that it isn't handled transparently like Plex does it. 

Sorry, you must be sick to death of constant comparison with Plex :)

fyi you don't need to create folders.  90% of my movies are in the root "movies" folder and they get identified fine.  Should make your script easier.

• Like 1

MikePlanet

I also have versions in different places and use this to group them together based on their metadata (tmdb/imdb) - but it's only for beta server.

Edited by MikePlanet

• 1 month later...

I have been told that this issue is fixed in version 4.0. However I upgraded to 4.0 last week & just checked with my iPhone client & I still see multiple posters. I really don’t want to have to rename & move hundreds of movie files so this issue prevent me using g Emby at present.

mastrmind11

I have been told that this issue is fixed in version 4.0. However I upgraded to 4.0 last week & just checked with my iPhone client & I still see multiple posters. I really don’t want to have to rename & move hundreds of movie files so this issue prevent me using g Emby at present.

Did you run a library scan after upgrading?  If so, then reboot your server and run another.

Did you run a library scan after upgrading?  If so, then reboot your server and run another.

Just tried that but it didn't work. Emby still shows four versions of  "The Bourne Legacy". I only have three versions bit it mismatches the BBC TV Film "Legacy (2013)" as one of them but that's another different error.

Sorry, been told what issue is fixed? If you read this topic the user resolved it on their own by ensuring their naming follows our multi version naming guidelines.

Sorry, been told what issue is fixed? If you read this topic the user resolved it on their own by ensuring their naming follows our multi version naming guidelines.

Clearly I was misinformed as the issue remains. The workaround is a royal pain in the arse. How does Emby handle multiple versions of TV shows? I don't see multiple posters browsing the TV library.

Clearly I was misinformed as the issue remains. The workaround is a royal pain in the arse. How does Emby handle multiple versions of TV shows? I don't see multiple posters browsing the TV library.

That's in the 4.0 release announcement:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-447-announcing-emby-server-40/

Please let us know if you have questions. Thanks !

That's in the 4.0 release announcement:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-447-announcing-emby-server-40/

Please let us know if you have questions. Thanks !

Multi-Resolution TV Shows

Without requiring any changes to your file names, we now support having multiple versions of episodes. This doesn't require any special setup and you'll now see the friendly version selection on the episode screen:”

So in 4.0 multiple versions of TV episodes are now handled transparently without any need to rename files. Why can’t movies be handled in the same way?

Edited by nigelpb

• 7 months later...
Noustaa

Multi-Resolution TV Shows

Without requiring any changes to your file names, we now support having multiple versions of episodes. This doesn't require any special setup and you'll now see the friendly version selection on the episode screen:”

So in 4.0 multiple versions of TV episodes are now handled transparently without any need to rename files. Why can’t movies be handled in the same way?

It's possible for the future. Thanks.

Hello Luke, is it still planned to add such a great feature for movies as well please ? Are you working on it ? :)

Edited by Noustaa