Claryifying how to setup DVR correctly

cymro

Hi,

A newish member - but very happy with Emby so far, however, I would like some guidance on setting up the DVR correctly, please. I have set up a folder for Emby called Recordings and where the DVR asks "Default recording path:" I have pointed it to this folder. Is this correct?

Should I point my TV and Movie folder in the "Movie recording path (optional):" and "Series recording path (optional):"? These are currently left empty. (When I entered my TV and Movies section - it seemed to populate the Recorded section with my entire library). What do these recording paths do precisely?

When I set any Series to "Don't record episodes that are already in my library" - Emby does record episodes that are already in my TV folder.

So my question is - is this because I have set the DVR up with empty Movie and Series recording paths - does Emby therefore only refer to episodes that exist in my Recording folders. Does Emby every consider episodes that are in the TV folder - or does it only consider recorded items and not items ripped etc. and exist previously.

I apologise for my confusion. I have recently left Plex, and it works different on their server. I could not find a specific DVR section in the wiki.

Thanks in advance

samuelqwe

The movie and show recording paths are just there if you like your folders more organized rather than one folder with all your recorded content. These paths should not be the same as your existing movie and show librairies.

Finally, checking the « don’t record episodes that are already in my library » setting does work with your entire library. So that means your series shouldn’t automatically schedule a recording for a show you already have, as long as your guide data does have the proper episode numbers.

kanipek

Hi,

A newish member - but very happy with Emby so far, however, I would like some guidance on setting up the DVR correctly, please. I have set up a folder for Emby called Recordings and where the DVR asks "Default recording path:" I have pointed it to this folder. Is this correct?

Should I point my TV and Movie folder in the "Movie recording path (optional):" and "Series recording path (optional):"? These are currently left empty. (When I entered my TV and Movies section - it seemed to populate the Recorded section with my entire library). What do these recording paths do precisely?

When I set any Series to "Don't record episodes that are already in my library" - Emby does record episodes that are already in my TV folder.

So my question is - is this because I have set the DVR up with empty Movie and Series recording paths - does Emby therefore only refer to episodes that exist in my Recording folders. Does Emby every consider episodes that are in the TV folder - or does it only consider recorded items and not items ripped etc. and exist previously.

I apologise for my confusion. I have recently left Plex, and it works different on their server. I could not find a specific DVR section in the wiki.

Thanks in advance

Can you give us an example of show that is being recorded that shouldn't be? Also an how is the "TV folder" organized? -- Seriesname\Season##\Seriesname.S##E##.episodename.extenstiontype or something similar?

Thanks for your reply. My TV folder is organized similarly to the way described - TV/Series Name/Season/Series Name.S01E01.Episode Name.mp4

My particular example was the TV series Charmed. My daughter has most of these, but I set up to try and catch any fills for her and noticed that an episode that she has was recorded. I think it was down to poor EPG for that episode as no other subsequent episodes have recorded as they are in the TV library.

Thank you for you help.

kanipek

Thanks for your reply. My TV folder is organized similarly to the way described - TV/Series Name/Season/Series Name.S01E01.Episode Name.mp4

My particular example was the TV series Charmed. My daughter has most of these, but I set up to try and catch any fills for her and noticed that an episode that she has was recorded. I think it was down to poor EPG for that episode as no other subsequent episodes have recorded as they are in the TV library.

Thank you for you help.

Good to hear.

Charmed is one of the reboot/continuation series that can potentially cause issues - Naming in accordance with how they are entered in the TVDB will minimize some of the issues, but not eliminate them entirely --just FYI.

When I set any Series to "Don't record episodes that are already in my library" - Emby does record episodes that are already in my TV folder.

Hi, what guide data did you use? This comparison is made using season and episode numbers, so both the guide data, and your local versions need to have that information. Thanks.