Emby Read-Only NFOs

FidoFuz

I'm in the process of switching from Plex to Emby and doing some testing.  I have nfos and images all meticulously created by Ember Media Manager and manually retrieved in rare cases.  Also some of the metadata has been fixed or added to locally from what was retrieved from TheMovieDb etc.

My issue is that I want Emby to pick up and use my metadata but I'm pretty precious about Emby (or anything else) messing with the metadata I have.  There seems to be a way to get Emby to use my metadata but if I enable that option, Emby then starts to trash it.  Ok trash it is my terminology and for most users it probably means add additional useful content but anything changing my metadata in any way is trashing it for me.

I've had bad experiences in the past of having my automatically and manually managed metadata replaced or "enhanced" with an automatic process which doesn't understand what I want in the way of metadata.

Am I missing an option or can we have nfos as both a Metadata Saver and a Metadata Downloader instead of both in one.  I understand that having it just as a Metadata Downloader will mean I will end up with duplicate nfos and images: in my movie folder and in Emby's internal/cache folder.

To be clear, what I want is for Emby to pick up my local metadata from my movie folder, just as it does for internet based metadata, just don't save it to my movie folder.

Hi yes, simply don't enable nfo metadata saving. It is off by default.

Thanks for the reply.  I read a similar reply elsewhere, am I just not being bright?  Emby will still pick up my local metadata even if I don't have the nfo saving turned on?

Happy2Play

Thanks for the reply.  I read a similar reply elsewhere, am I just not being bright?  Emby will still pick up my local metadata even if I don't have the nfo saving turned on?

Correct, just like I use the xml plugin to read my metadata.  You only issues would be any changes you may do in Emby will only exist in Emby database.

That's correct. You can't stop the server from reading the existing nfo file. We can look at making that configurable but as of today you'd have to just delete the nfo files.

Many thanks, this is my final hurdle before I stand up Emby alongside Plex to make my decisions.  I personally don't need Emby to stop reading my nfos so I'm ok with that.  Also thanks for making explicit you were answering my question in red when you said correct and not the question in my previous sentence :)