Could I have prevented this metadata mishap?

gene0915

gene0915

In my library of movies, I was scrolling through and noticed something weird. I saw two instances of 'The House With a Clock in its Walls':

5c1d891cdd333_embywebhouseclockwalls.png

I went into the metadata manager and only saw one instance:

5c1d894cbd5f9_embyhouseclockwallsmetadat

After going back into the movie section, I clicked on each one to see if it was indeed a duplicate. What I quickly discovered was that the first copy was actually 'The House (2017)' staring Will Ferrell and Amy Poehler. Here is the folder:

5c1d89c721a5b_embythehousefolder.png

I manually fixed the mis-match so no big deal but was just wondering if this is a glitch that you just have to live with or is this a bug that can be corrected? I couldn't help but wonder what other movies might glitch like that. I started looking for movies with the same first few words and after spot checking a few, I don't see the same problem.

Was this avoidable on my part?

Deathsquirrel

Looks like a TMDB issue to me.  If I search on the house (2017) the correct movie isn't even in the results list at the moment.  If I strip off the year it's the second result even though that's a far better result than the first item in the list.

This actually looks like a server defect. That's why I'm wondering what version of the server those movies were added with, to try and gauge if that would still happen with a new install now.

CharleyVarrick

Many years ago, I tried Plex, and issues like this were common. What's disturbing is people will find these mistakes mostly by chance, by spotting 2 identical movie posters.

While Plex made a ton of mistake with my collection (and Emby is almost perfect), Plex would signal these issues with some kind of "this might require your attention" symbol.

In fact, there was a feature that would conveniently list them all. Anytime the file name and library name differs, we should be made aware one way or another.

• Like 1

gene0915

This actually looks like a server defect. That's why I'm wondering what version of the server those movies were added with, to try and gauge if that would still happen with a new install now.

Sorry for the delayed response.

I -THINK- I reinstalled Emby in October'ish some time. I'm fairly certain that Emby was already up and running before I added 'The House with a Clock in its Walls'. The other House movie was definitely already in place. When I installed Emby, I just pointed it at my movie folder and let it go. At that point in time, the Will Ferrell movie was already present. Clock in its Walls was added several weeks after Emby was freshly installed.

EDIT: Luke, to answer your 'what version of the server' question.... no idea. :( I've been testing the betas as fast as they're released.

Edited by gene0915

gene0915

Many years ago, I tried Plex, and issues like this were common. What's disturbing is people will find these mistakes mostly by chance, by spotting 2 identical movie posters.

While Plex made a ton of mistake with my collection (and Emby is almost perfect), Plex would signal these issues with some kind of "this might require your attention" symbol.

In fact, there was a feature that would conveniently list them all. Anytime the file name and library name differs, we should be made aware one way or another.

That would be cool. Have some logic built into Emby that if it sees two movies with the exact same name somewhere, it will flag it somehow to bring it to your attention.

Happy2Play

It is in slow development but EmbyStat standalone server does this.

5c1e9969bb165_estat.jpg

• Like 1

CharleyVarrick

That would be cool. Have some logic built into Emby that if it sees two movies with the exact same name somewhere, it will flag it somehow to bring it to your attention.

Yes, 2 movie with same file name (ie: star wars.mkv vs star wars.mp4) and also the more common 2 movies with same library name (usually one of them with an unrelated file name).

But the key feature would be a notification when file name and libray name differs.

CharleyVarrick

It is in slow development but EmbyStat standalone server does this.

Really nice work Happy,

is this available already, and will it be in plugins eventually?

Happy holidays to all of you and yours.

Edited by jlr19

Happy2Play

Really nice work Happy,

is this available already, and will it be in plugins eventually?

Happy holidays to all of you and yours.

This has been available for awhile from the same developer that made the Statistics plugin.  Just hasn't had time to continue development.  But as you can see still functional.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/56640-developing-a-standalone-embystat-server/

https://github.com/mregni/EmbyStat/releases

Edited by Happy2Play