New to Emby, Security and Startup Help

cs2019

Just installed Emby on Windows 10.  Install went pretty much like documented here https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Quick%20start

However, when I first went to my IP on my phone from my office http://nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn:8096 it let me right in!  It somehow magically knows who I am.  Hmmm.  That is not as desired.  So I look around the settings to figure out where I missed the part where it prompts for my ID and Password, and I cannot find that setting.  I Googled. I re-read through the start up, and clearly I missed some setting.  Right now it looks like anyone stumbling along my IP at port 8096 sees my music. Where is this setting?

I shut down the server by using the icon in the system tray.  Now, even if I find the setting, I cannot figure out how to start the server again.  It does not appear in the programs under the start menu nor do I see anything called Emby in c:\Program Files or c:\Program Files (x86) How do I start the thing again once I figure out how to secure the server?

Thanks

I found where it's installed based on another thread here, (c:\users\admin\AppData\Emby- etc.) however, I still don't know how to manually start the thing. 

Hi, you can run by launching EmbyServer.exe, or from the windows start menu entry that the installer created. Does this answer your question on that?

Regarding security, what I would suggest is assigning your user a password, and/or disabling remote access altogether under the Advanced section. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

>> Hi, you can run by launching EmbyServer.exe, or from the windows start menu entry that the installer created. Does this answer your question on that?

It may help.  I couldn't seem to find any EXE files in the c:\users\admin\AppData\Roaming\Emby- directories. (edit: and there is nothing in the start menu) I'll keep looking.

>> Regarding security, what I would suggest is assigning your user a password, and/or disabling remote access altogether under the Advanced section. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

Well, my main use was to have it visible from my my phone outside home network, so I am thinking I need to assign myself a password.  I thought I was doing that along the line, but what I see I was actually doing was picking a password for this site.  Somehow that was confusing to me, and I am usually pretty savvy about these things.

Edited by cs2019

Happy2Play

Start menu should be the easiest option.

5c1c0a0bf1afc_menu.jpg

C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\embyserver.exe

• Like 1

Start menu should be the easiest option.

5c1c0a0bf1afc_menu.jpg

C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\embyserver.exe

It's not under the start menu.

5c1c0e649bc99_20181220_1548.png

I did find it at C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\embyserver.exe as you pointed out. Thanks.

I was also able to figure out how to change/add the password. I think the main thing was that I thought I'd already given myself a password.  If I have the time, I think I might go back through the process to figure out why it seemed to me that I was assigning a password to myself for the server instead of the emby.media site.  Seems very odd to me.

notla49285

I was also able to figure out how to change/add the password. I think the main thing was that I thought I'd already given myself a password.  If I have the time, I think I might go back through the process to figure out why it seemed to me that I was assigning a password to myself for the server instead of the emby.media site.  Seems very odd to me.

I've had an issue with passwords recently and discovered that your Emby Connect password can be different to your server user password (even though the user is assigned to an Emby Connect account).