Best Method for Moving Media

NerdGuy85

NerdGuy85

Happy Holidays Community!

What is the best method for moving media from one storage location to another & how does Emby deal with it? 

Currently I have my movie library monitoring two locations. The first is my primary movie location where all I try and keep the newer movies and my secondary nas location (different nas server) is where I store the older stuff. As the year is coming to an end I want to move all my 2017 movies from the primary NAS server to the second location

To me it seems as simple as moving the files and Emby re-scans the library and updates the location of the media and things just continue to work as they have been but this didn't work so well when I was using Plex so before I attempted it with Emby I figured I'd reach out and see if it's as simple as I think it is.

Appreciate any feedback.

Thank you

Hi.  Yes, it should be just that simple with Emby (assuming all of these items are properly identified).

Since it is such a large move, I would suggest maybe shutting down the server, doing the move, and then re-starting the server and manually kicking off a library scan.

Please let us know if you run into any problems.

Thanks!

• Like 1

GhostRider

Hi

I have done a similair "large" move for TV series that are no longer growing and those that still need empty disk space for future growth. It was just a case of moving the data folders from one array to the other. I have auto monitoring turned off so make sure the server is either turned off like ebr suggested or ensure auto monitoring of the releveant libraries is turned off. Maybe both for good measure then you can do a rescan when you 100% sure everything is copied over.