Live TV question - accessing Directv possible?

sector327

sector327

apology in advance if this is obvious. I've been browsing the forum for a while and I'm thinking the direction is to buy a HDHomerun for $35mo but selling that to the fam is impossible. My family likes Directv and of course I don't want to disrupt that.  

I currently use Directv at home for all "live tv and dvr" and then use Emby for my movies, downloaded tvseries. When I'm traveling for work I use emby to watch my movies (I use a roku, chromcast, ipad or phone) and I can watch any of my movie/tv series collection. This is a lifesaver when on the road.

My goal:  I would like to also be able to access my home tv feed & dvr while I'm traveling as well. It looks like Emby has a Live TV functionality that will allow users to view their home feed (although I'm not sure about Directv). From what I've seen there's also the ability to record live tv with emby itself acting as the dvr. If I understand correctly, I could use my emby server to "dvr live tv" so I can watch it later (from anywhere I watch my movies from). 

Questions:

1. Can I have the emby server rebroadcast the Directv to me while traveling? 

2. If so, can I then have emby act as the dvr so that my family (at home) and I (when traveling) are all feeding off the same dvr?

If the first two answers are yes, what equipment would I need? (currently using an i7 computer by itself w/ a LOT of ram and a NAS for storage. cpu, ram & storage are not an obstacle)

If the first two answers were no, .....I might be stuck as my family REALLY likes the directv for watching local channels, the guide, local sports, etc...  Is there something that's REALLY CLOSE to this that I could pitch to them?

Thanks guys (& gals?).  I do love Emby!

jachin99

I don't think so for a few reasons. First of all, you would have to operate emby in video capture mode which I'm not sure it even has. In order to achieve this you will need a video capture card with a component video input. Then you will need to have a DTV recie er with component out because the HDMI outs on their boxes encrypt their output.

• Like 1

sector327

I don't think so for a few reasons. First of all, you would have to operate emby in video capture mode which I'm not sure it even has. In order to achieve this you will need a video capture card with a component video input. Then you will need to have a DTV recie er with component out because the HDMI outs on their boxes encrypt their output.

I can see that. Sounds reasonable I guess. 

I don't believe DirecTV opens up their streams to third party apps, do they?

Good question. I honestly don't know. 

pir8radio

They do not...   I looked into this prior to going the IPTV route.. I liked directv..   I liked PSVue, but in order to control piracy they try to secure their streams to their own apps...    That's not to say there are not apps out there that can grab these streams and re-package them...  But I don't think emby will support this method..  They don't want to turn into a "kodi".  Emby tries to remain 100% legit. 

That said, DirecTV fiddled with the idea of a DirecTv tuner... but dropped it.  google:  HDPC-20 

aside from setting up a very expensive DirecTV setup you can not easily do this in emby.  Hypothetically you could get 1 directv tuner per channel and run it into an HD stream server then have emby handle all of the individual RTSP streams from the streaming boxes...   But imagine the cost.  2k just to get 16 channels up and running:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/MPEG4-3U-16-Channels-HDMI-MIC-To-IP-Live-Stream-Encoder-H-264-16-In-1/32907480264.html

Edited by pir8radio

SHSPVR

They do not...   I looked into this prior to going the IPTV route.. I liked directv..   I liked PSVue, but in order to control piracy they try to secure their streams to their own apps...    That's not to say there are not apps out there that can grab these streams and re-package them...  But I don't think emby will support this method..  They don't want to turn into a "kodi".  Emby tries to remain 100% legit. 

That said, DirecTV fiddled with the idea of a DirecTv tuner... but dropped it.  google:  HDPC-20 

aside from setting up a very expensive DirecTV setup you can not easily do this in emby.  Hypothetically you could get 1 directv tuner per channel and run it into an HD stream server then have emby handle all of the individual RTSP streams from the streaming boxes...   But imagine the cost.  2k just to get 16 channels up and running:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/MPEG4-3U-16-Channels-HDMI-MIC-To-IP-Live-Stream-Encoder-H-264-16-In-1/32907480264.html

Ture but Emby has no IR Blaster support and he be limited to one tuner with a Hauppauge HD-PVR 2/Colossus 2 and WinTV 8 then there always NextPVR Plug-in that give you 3 tuner with USB-UIRT with zone setup support and I don't think it support mulit-USB-UIRT device like SageTV dose but NextPVR may support DirecTV STB via ethernet tuning like SageTV dose but you do need the right set-top box for that to work I don't think the genie model are compatible and be side that must tuners you can with DirecTV is 7 any way.

You ide would work but he setup each STB on it on channel and beside SageTV and MythTV are the only that support those kind IPTV encoder

pir8radio

Ture but Emby has no IR Blaster support and he be limited to one tuner with a Hauppauge HD-PVR 2/Colossus 2 and WinTV 8 then there always NextPVR Plug-in that give you 3 tuner with USB-UIRT with zone setup support and I don't think it support mulit-USB-UIRT device like SageTV dose but NextPVR may support DirecTV STB via ethernet tuning like SageTV dose but you do need the right set-top box for that to work I don't think the genie model are compatible and be side that must tuners you can with DirecTV is 7 any way.

You ide would work but he setup each STB on it on channel and beside SageTV and MythTV are the only that support those kind IPTV encoder

The iptv encoders would go directly in emby as an m3u tuner..  You could whip up an iptv playlist with each iptv encoder as a ch..  how iptv does it today..  But i get what you are sayin'    I was just throwing it out there...    and you are correct i forgot about nextpvr you could go that route too, with the emby plugin.