Install without systemd

damtor

I've been running Plex on a PCLinuxOS (no systemd) box for many years.

I'd like to try out emby. 

Is it possible to install emby on a Linux system that does not use systemd?

Before I read your reply, I did unpack the Fedora rpm on a different computer running PCLOS (no systemd),

and then I just manually ran /opt/emby-server/bin/ebmy-server

and it started right up and in a browser, went to localhost:8096, and the install wizard started,

and I was able to load a small/test TV library, and was able to play it back in the browser.

I was very happy/impressed with what I saw.   Very polished.

I'm glad I asked and you replied, otherwise I would have continued to play around with emby and

possibly wasted a lot of time, because I just can't change to some officially supported systemd OS on my

server now.   I would not want to be running anything that's not officially supported, I just have too many

users who would be affected.   I guess I'm stuck with Plex and their terrible new Roku UI for the

time being.  

I will continue to check back on your forum now and then to see if emby does officially

support non-systemd installs sometime in the future.     I hope you will be able to.  

Thanks for considering it.

Edited by damtor

• 3 years later...

Hi, is there any positive feedback here yet or can we forget Emby without systemd.
I have heard that Emby is a great program; but ...
I also use PCLinuxOS since 2006 and because of a program I will not change my OS.
Has something changed for the init.d users?

1 hour ago, rogaven said:

Hi, is there any positive feedback here yet or can we forget Emby without systemd.
I have heard that Emby is a great program; but ...
I also use PCLinuxOS since 2006 and because of a program I will not change my OS.
Has something changed for the init.d users?

Hi, it's not something we've been able to look at. It's possible for the future.