Looking for DVD Ripper Alternatives

Oracle

ryandavidg

I like MakeMKV. Should be said though, that this creates "remuxes" where all the video tracks are pulled out and turned into MKV files (without any quality loss) which I prefer, but if you want full disc images so you can play via the menu structure or something then this is not the best option.

It works really well in my experience. It's free "while in beta", and beta has been going on for years. What this means in practice is that you have to reinstall every month or enter a registration code when the month ends.

• Like 1

I like MakeMKV. Should be said though, that this creates "remuxes" where all the video tracks are pulled out and turned into MKV files (without any quality loss) which I prefer, but if you want full disc images so you can play via the menu structure or something then this is not the best option.

It works really well in my experience. It's free "while in beta", and beta has been going on for years. What this means in practice is that you have to reinstall every month or enter a registration code when the month ends.

This is the one for me. Thanks again, buddy.

I prefer to have everything in MP4, but we'll see how I like MKV files. I'll likely switch over to MKV if I like how it goes.

Is there a benefit to having MKV files over MP4?

Edited by SPRINKLES-PC

Looking at the comparisons, it seems as if MKV will be my best friend for the long haul, while MP4s at some point will tell me to go fork myself. All of my devices, like you, are compatible with the MKV container. 

Thanks, mate. You've been a huge help.

MakeMKV is much quicker too compared to what I have been using in the past. Just banged out three episodes in what it would take to accomplish half of one.

Edited by ebr
for family content

ryandavidg

One thing I forgot to add for anyone trying MakeMKV - reinstalling isn't the only way to extend usage beyond 30 days. There's also an announcement on their forums where they publish a code which will bump the expiration date by a month or so. The current code takes one to the end of Jan 2019. The post is titled "MakeMKV is free while in beta" and they have been updating it with fresh monthly codes since 2010.

murky024

I love MakeMKV. I just paid for it because it was worth it to me. We have 100s of DVDs and Blurays in the house and it was nice using that software to convert my physical library to a digitally stored one for Emby's use.