Issues after Sony Bravia Oreo update

irrompible

irrompible

So my current setup is a 2017 Sony Bravia 55X900E hooked to a Vizio 5.1 soundbar using ARC.

Sony has a well documented issue of not being able to passthrough DTS with most ATV apps. Before I updated to Oreo, I was able to play a movie with a DTS track and the server would automatically transcode the audio to DD and everything was fine.

Since updating to Oreo, I'm still able to play all my files that have a DD track just fine but anytime I try to watch one with DTS, the video freezes right away and I get no audio. Turning on stats for nerds shows that the server is trying to direct play the file now instead of transcoding the audio like it would on Nougat. The weird thing is that after this happens, all videos from this point on refuse to play past the first frame. Those include videos I watch through Emby (including DD videos that previously worked), as well as Google play movies and Vudu streams. You have to restart the TV in order to fix this issue.

I tried messing around with custom DLNA profiles to see if I could get the server to automatically transcode any DTS track like it did before. I was thinking it would be a temporary work around until an ATV or Emby update is released that may fix the issue. I haven't had any luck getting the custom profiles to work and I have to admit I'm not all that familiar with making them in the first place. Is it even possible to do what I'm trying to do?

irrompible

Here is a copy of log.  For this log I played a DD encoded show, let it play for a few minutes and then played a DTS encoded show.  After that froze on me, I went back and tried to play the DD encoded show again.

embyserver.txt

Edited by irrompible

Also, in the emby app, enable logging and send a log. I should have mentioned that before but it is in the link I posted above.

irrompible

Also, in the emby app, enable logging and send a log. I should have mentioned that before but it is in the link I posted above.

Sorry, I missed that part.  I just sent the log in.  The local user at the time was 'Michael'.  I repeated the same steps as above... I played episode 1 of Planet Earth II which I repackaged with a DD track.  This played fine.  I then tried playing the first episode of Game of Thrones, which has a DTS track.  This didn't play at all, it just loaded the first frame of the video and sat there with no audio.  Stats for nerds at the time showed (Direct) for both video and audio, where previously on Nougat it would show direct for video and transcoding for audio.  I then went and tried playing Planet Earth II again and it had the same fate as Game of Thrones.  A reboot of the TV fixes the frozen video and audio problem until I attempt to play another video with a DTS track.

Hi.  In the log you sent, I only see what looks like successful playback of the item with DD audio (Islands).

Can you please just play the problem item and then send the log?

Unfortunately, I still don't see the start of playback in that log.  Exactly what did you do during the session?

I think you are right in that this is simply the TV reporting it supports DTS but it really doesn't.  If that is the case, we'll have no choice but to introduce an option.

irrompible

I simply opened Emby and tried to play an mkv file with DTS audio. It showed the first frame of the show and nothing else happened. Everything was working fine before I updated to Oreo however, so like you I'm leaning toward it being some newly introduced bug in ATV 8.0 on Sony's.

Is an added option in the ATV app the only way to force transcoding of DTS, or could I do it with a custom DLNA profile?

No, you cannot control this with a profile.  You should be able to use the "Playback Correction" menu to make it play properly though.

irrompible

I tried that, but because loading a DTS video instantly screws up playing all videos, even using the playback correction option doesn't work. I see that it tries to transcode it, but at that point it's too late.

If an option could be added in a future ATV Emby release to transcode all DTS content, that would be great. Until then, looks like I'm stuck watching DD stuff and praying for Sony to get their act together and release some bug fixes.

• 3 weeks later...
TheCaptain

Any update on this issue? I'm having the same problem and when i accidentally play a file with DTS i have to reboot my tv or I cant play anything through emby..

• 1 month later...
irrompible

Yes, I just tried it again and it's still happening when I attempt to play a movie with a DTS track. Pretty sure it's a Sony issue and I doubt they're in a hurry to fix anything. If you need me to do any more testing with it, let me know and I will. For the time being, I picked up a Roku Ultra and Emby is working flawlessly on that, but it would be nice to be able to use the native ATV app again.

• 2 weeks later...

Today's beta (.88) may appear to break this for you again.

Simply go into the playback settings in the app and turn off the DTS option and you should be back to good again.

Thanks.

• 4 months later...
StLDreiling

FYI all, Sony released a f/w update a few weeks ago that likely hasn't been pushed automatically (build 6.6510). You can download the package and install it from https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/lcd-tvs-android-xe80xx_x80xxe_xe83xx-series/xbr-43x800e/downloads/00016128. The changelog references "a condition where there's no sound from the TV when output through a home audio system (Sound Bar, A/V Receiver, etc.)." After installing the patch, Emby passes through DTS without issue and direct plays MKVs w/ DTS audio tracks.

It should be noted, however, that DTS-HD still appears to be broken https://github.com/CiNcH83/bravia_atv2/issues/57.

Edited by StLDreiling
  • Like 1

FYI all, Sony released a f/w update a few weeks ago that likely hasn't been pushed automatically (build 6.6510). You can download the package and install it from https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/lcd-tvs-android-xe80xx_x80xxe_xe83xx-series/xbr-43x800e/downloads/00016128. The changelog references "a condition where there's no sound from the TV when output through a home audio system (Sound Bar, A/V Receiver, etc.)." After installing the patch, Emby passes through DTS without issue and direct plays MKVs w/ DTS audio tracks.

It should be noted, however, that DTS-HD still appears to be broken https://github.com/CiNcH83/bravia_atv2/issues/57.

Excellent news.  Thanks for the report!

irrompible

FYI all, Sony released a f/w update a few weeks ago that likely hasn't been pushed automatically (build 6.6510). You can download the package and install it from https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/lcd-tvs-android-xe80xx_x80xxe_xe83xx-series/xbr-43x800e/downloads/00016128. The changelog references "

a condition where there's no sound from the TV when output through a home audio system (Sound Bar, A/V Receiver, etc.).

"

After installing the patch, Emby passes through DTS without issue and direct plays MKVs w/ DTS audio tracks.

It should be noted, however, that DTS-HD still appears to be broken

https://github.com/CiNcH83/bravia_atv2/issues/57

Awesome! I tested this and at first it wasn't working for me but it seems a reset of the TV fixed that. Now the only issue that keeps me shackled to the Roku Emby is Android TVs version displaying grey bars on HDR content instead of black bars. Pretty sure, again, that this is a Sony issue that they will hopefully patch one day.

Awesome! I tested this and at first it wasn't working for me but it seems a reset of the TV fixed that. Now the only issue that keeps me shackled to the Roku Emby is Android TVs version displaying grey bars on HDR content instead of black bars. Pretty sure, again, that this is a Sony issue that they will hopefully patch one day.

We had a report that was fixed as well...

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/57838-hdr-grey-bars/?p=753135

irrompible

Unfortunately it's still broken for me on my x900e. Perhaps it will be in the next firmware release since they have it working on other models now.

• 1 month later...

I can confirm that the firmware update 6.65.20 resolved the DTS passthrough problem for me. However, the DTS-HD still is not working. So, just have to wait for that. I almost ordered a new AV amplifier before I saw this post, so thank you! :)