Library Scan, New Files Added

cdikland

kanipek

In addition to the images I posted above, I am not sure what else you need.  Image 2, above, shows each folder contained within the Emby Library (\\CKD_DIKSKSTATION\Plex) 

I am looking for how the folder is configured within the Emby library - not within Windows

Edited by kanipek

We'd like to see how they're setup in Emby. For example, have you added the same folder to multiple libraries?

• Like 1

cdikland

There is only one library in Emby. I am guessing you want to see screenshots of Emby page(s) its self? Clicking on the "Family Room PC" image dispalys the page in the 2nd image

5c17f16d66b35_image1.jpg

5c17f1ac53b43_image2.jpg

We'd like to see how they're setup in Emby. For example, have you added the same folder to multiple libraries?

Edited by cdikland

kanipek

Yes please from the emby dashboard. Select library -- then select the three dot menu for the library and select manage library. Screen shot that for us please.

Select Show Advanced Settings also.

Edited by kanipek

kanipek

When you created the library it looks like you did not fill in the "(optional) Shared Network Folder" --It is not required by I would suggest doing that

Can you connect to the drive from doing Run (windows key+R) and the filling in the URL to the drive?

What is the ckd_diskstation and how is it sharing the drive to the network --What protocol SMB, NFS or ?

cdikland

I did a complete re-install of Emby, copied the Plex library onto another non-networked drive. Now when I add new files it appears to update the library properly. No idea if the complete re-install or moving of the library from the network drive fixed the problem I should point out though that this old library structure and location is the same as that used by the Plex server. Given that Plex has never had any issues with this configuration I conclude that my Windows network drive is not a problem. I would eventually like to move the new Emby library back onto this network drive but for now everything is working very well. 

kanipek

I did a complete re-install of Emby, copied the Plex library onto another non-networked drive. Now when I add new files it appears to update the library properly. No idea if the complete re-install or moving of the library from the network drive fixed the problem I should point out though that this old library structure and location is the same as that used by the Plex server. Given that Plex has never had any issues with this configuration I conclude that my Windows network drive is not a problem. I would eventually like to move the new Emby library back onto this network drive but for now everything is working very well. 

Good that you have it working. So Emby is working.

You could create a small library on that network drive as a test. Follow a supported structure and see what happens. When (if) you create the library make sure you fill in the Optional field - There are some instances when dealing with cross platform OS's (windows - linux) that filling this in solves "issues". To be clear the "Folder" field should be the local path to the drive using the drive letter path or \\serverame\folderorsharename -- "Optional" should be the IP path to the drive.  I am assuming (because you have not told us) that this is a Synology NAS.

To me it seems like there is a sharing issue of some sort - Permissions, protocol-- etc between the Windows and Diskstation. In my experience Plex is a bit more flexible/forgiving than Emby.

When you created the library it looks like you did not fill in the "(optional) Shared Network Folder" --It is not required by I would suggest doing that

Can you connect to the drive from doing Run (windows key+R) and the filling in the URL to the drive?

What is the ckd_diskstation and how is it sharing the drive to the network --What protocol SMB, NFS or ?

Please note, this has no impact on the server scanning files. It is only the for the purpose that is mentioned in the help text - for emby apps to use. Thanks.

Interesting, thanks for the feedback.

• 3 years later...
Kandidat1999

I also have to run the library manually every time something new is added, otherwise the new content won't show up on my Emby on ATV or Shield, Real Time Monitoring is enabled in every library that's created, but it's still not doing it automatically.

I'm on Emby Server 4.7.0.19 on a Synology DS918+ running DSM 7+, 

Happy2Play
31 minutes ago, Kandidat1999 said:

I also have to run the library manually every time something new is added, otherwise the new content won't show up on my Emby on ATV or Shield, Real Time Monitoring is enabled in every library that's created, but it's still not doing it automatically.

I'm on Emby Server 4.7.0.19 on a Synology DS918+ running DSM 7+, 

Can you post a server log with an example.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

@Kandidat1999 you need to correct your system inotify limitation.

2022-01-01 08:35:13.299 Error LibraryMonitor: Error in Directory watcher for: /volume1/Music
2022-01-01 08:35:13.299 Error LibraryMonitor: Error in Directory watcher for: /volume1/Filme

System.IO.IOException: System.IO.IOException: The configured user limit (8192) on the number of inotify watches has been reached, or the operating system failed to allocate a required resource.

• Like 1

Kandidat1999
17 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

@Kandidat1999 you need to correct your system inotify limitation.

2022-01-01 08:35:13.299 Error LibraryMonitor: Error in Directory watcher for: /volume1/Music
2022-01-01 08:35:13.299 Error LibraryMonitor: Error in Directory watcher for: /volume1/Filme

System.IO.IOException: System.IO.IOException: The configured user limit (8192) on the number of inotify watches has been reached, or the operating system failed to allocate a required resource.

Hello again,

thanks for your help, I just want to clarify this is an issue that's going on for some time not only with the latest beta 4.7.0.19, but if it's only these 2 path's should it not work for all my others ? Because it does not, so I added this task to run and checking with Terminal it shows the new number of 204800, so I have moved a movie out of the Folder scanned the library manually, checked that this movie is gone and copied it back, still not working, how much time should be normal to recognize the added movie and what action do you have to take to see the new added content? Do you have to go into a folder come back out to make the changes work or should this happen on the fly without going anywhere?

Edited by Kandidat1999

FrostByte
18 minutes ago, Kandidat1999 said:

Hello again,

thanks for your help, I just want to clarify this is an issue that's going on for some time not only with the latest beta 4.7.0.19, but if it's only these 2 path's should it not work for all my others ? Because it does not, so I added this task to run and checking with Terminal it shows the new number of 204800, so I have moved a movie out of the Folder scanned the library manually, checked that this movie is gone and copied it back, still not working, how much time should be normal to recognize the added movie and what action do you have to take to see the new added content? Do you have to go into a folder come back out to make the changes work or should this happen on the fly without going anywhere?

It can take up to 10 minutes sometimes.  It definitely won't work if you're getting inotify errors, but you may also have other things going on preventing it from working.

Can you add something new, wait 10 mins and post the server log?  Give us the approximate time you added something from the log

EDIT: A complete log from startup would be best

Edited by FrostByte

Kandidat1999
1 hour ago, FrostByte said:

It can take up to 10 minutes sometimes.  It definitely won't work if you're getting inotify errors, but you may also have other things going on preventing it from working.

Can you add something new, wait 10 mins and post the server log?  Give us the approximate time you added something from the log

EDIT: A complete log from startup would be best

No, it works automatically now, although I could not set up that task as shown in the picture in the other thread, because I don't have this option to do it on "boot up", I just ran the task and rebooted and when I checked via Terminal the new numbers showed up, is this something I have to do after a reboot all the time or is this now a saved routine?

Thanks for the help again, who would have thought I would have to do this to make it work, never ever could I have solved it.

FrostByte
26 minutes ago, Kandidat1999 said:

No, it works automatically now, although I could not set up that task as shown in the picture in the other thread, because I don't have this option to do it on "boot up", I just ran the task and rebooted and when I checked via Terminal the new numbers showed up, is this something I have to do after a reboot all the time or is this now a saved routine?

Thanks for the help again, who would have thought I would have to do this to make it work, never ever could I have solved it.

Great.  If it's still there after a reboot then you're fine, but it usually gets wiped out so then you will need to run on boot-up or rerun manually.

Did you choose Create and then Triggered Task?   Because you won't find the option to do it on boot-up with scheduled.

Then a box should pop up choose User root and right underneath there should be Event Boot-up

Edited by FrostByte

Kandidat1999
On 1/2/2022 at 3:09 PM, FrostByte said:

Great.  If it's still there after a reboot then you're fine, but it usually gets wiped out so then you will need to run on boot-up or rerun manually.

Did you choose Create and then Triggered Task?   Because you won't find the option to do it on boot-up with scheduled.

Then a box should pop up choose User root and right underneath there should be Event Boot-up

Yes, you are correct, I did not saw this in the other thread that it has to be a triggered task, its set up like in the picture now…Thanks again.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
Kandidat1999

The Library is again not getting updated automatically, I have to do a manual scan again to make the new stuff show up, that triggered task is still running, I even rebooted the machine and ran that command manually again, stopped the emby server and restarted can someone take a look at my log? Maybe I need to raise the numbers in that task? I added a lot of stuff over the last few days.

embyserver.txt

Edited by Kandidat1999

FrostByte
3 hours ago, Kandidat1999 said:

The Library is again not getting updated automatically, I have to do a manual scan again to make the new stuff show up, that triggered task is still running, I even rebooted the machine and ran that command manually again, stopped the emby server and restarted can someone take a look at my log? Maybe I need to raise the numbers in that task? I added a lot of stuff over the last few days.

embyserver.txt 844.45 kB · 0 downloads

System.IO.IOException: System.IO.IOException: The configured user limit (204800) on the number of inotify watches has been reached, or the operating system failed to allocate a required resource.

Wow.  You are the first person I've seen reach that limit for watches.  That just means you have more than 204,800 total files, folders, etc which inotify is watching.  You're going to have to bump that number up some in the task and then you can just manually run it again.

Kandidat1999

Thanks I figured this might happen but I was scared to change the number, yeah I scraped everything with artwork now, thats a lot of files, so what number would you suggest on both sides of this task? Or does it not matter how high you set that number?

I still can‘t believe its over 204k on Files though,  is there maybe a chance that there is some old data in there, that needs to be cleaned, because I also switched lots of files to different new hard disks.

Edited by Kandidat1999

FrostByte
16 minutes ago, Kandidat1999 said:

Thanks I figured this might happen but I was scared to change the number, yeah I scraped everything with artwork now, thats a lot of files, so what number would you suggest on both sides of this task?

I didn't see an error with Instances so I think you may get away with just changing Watches for right now.  You would have to make more than 10,000 changes all at once in order to max Instances out now, but the number of Watches will continue to grow as your libraries grow. 

I guess it depends on how much you plan on adding.  For every movie you add you can be adding 10 or more watches once you include folders, pictures, external subs,  nfo, etc.  

There is a maximum number of watches you can set and each one takes a little bit of memory.   See below.  You're almost halfway there now.  

linux - Kernel inotify watch limit reached - Unix & Linux Stack Exchange

Maybe bump it up a few thousand, but you're going to have to keep monitoring it.

Edited by FrostByte

Kandidat1999
6 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

I didn't see an error with Instances so I think you may get away with just changing Watches for right now.  You would have to make more than 10,000 changes all at once in order to max that out now, but the number of Watches will continue to grow as your libraries grow. 

I guess it depends on how much you plan on adding.  For every movie you add you can be adding 10 or more watches once you include folders, pictures, external subs,  nfo, etc.  

There is a maximum number of watches you can set and each one takes a little bit of memory.   See below.  You're almost halfway there now.  

linux - Kernel inotify watch limit reached - Unix & Linux Stack Exchange

Maybe bump it up a few thousand, but you're going to have to keep monitoring it.

I added another question that you have probably missed, could it be that there is some „dead stuff“ in the database from changing from one HD to another ? I changed roughly 4TB over the last few days from one hard drive to another.

but thanks for your help again, I‘m at work now so I can‘t change it right now, but I will give an update when I‘m home. :)

Edited by Kandidat1999