Recommend me DVR recorder

Airbender

Airbender

Hi 

My Roommate is paying $30 buck per month for a DVR or PVR not sure so she asked me to find a DVR for $100 for her

the DVR she has right now is from COX Communications and it recodes few shows at same time and or in different times

So what do you guys recommend for a Basic DVR for Cable paid programming ?

gcw07

Outside of building one yourself, there aren't a lot of options. There is basically build a WMC machine, use a cable/sat dvr, or use a tivo with cable card. I tried a WMC machine for about a year and a half, but finally went back to Tivo. WMC was just more trouble then it was worth. As for cost. I'd suggest trying to find an older Tivo HD with lifetime, though that will only record two channels at once, but will be the cheapest option for Tivo. Though personally I say the Roamio is where it is at as far as Tivo is concerned. I don't think you will have much luck for finding one for $100. WMC tuner cards and Tivo are both going to be more. Though really it is worth it in the long run and will save you money, but you have to look at it more long term. Good luck with your search.

Edited by gcw07

Airbender

Outside of building one yourself, there aren't a lot of options. There is basically build a WMC machine, use a cable/sat dvr, or use a tivo with cable card. I tried a WMC machine for about a year and a half, but finally went back to Tivo. WMC was just more trouble then it was worth. As for cost. I'd suggest trying to find an older Tivo HD with lifetime, though that will only record two channels at once, but will be the cheapest option for Tivo. Though personally I say the Roamio is where it is at as far as Tivo is concerned. I don't think you will have much luck for finding one for $100. WMC tuner cards and Tivo are both going to be more. Though really it is worth it in the long run and will save you money, but you have to look at it more long term. Good luck with your search.

Good point as for me i am still working on my HTPC with WMC but did not get time to set it up yet but my roomate she is not going to be happy with PC or Tivo so i will look in amazon and see what options are for her at this moment but thanks for the pointers you always give great advise

Does anyone else has any suggestions

Thanks