How to Migrate metadata scrapping to Emby?

GhostRider

GhostRider

Hi

I used to use Metabrowser as my initial metadata gathering tool. Goes back to my early days of using Media browser and DVDs in Windows Media Centre :rolleyes:

As Metabrowser is all but dead now I have been trying using Emby as the only source of metadata and ran into some problem areas that I hope can be solved:

1) Emby saves the movie artwork with shortnames: poster, fanart etc. How can I get Emby to save in the format movename (year)-poster etc?

2) Actor names, several do not get images downloaded even though an image exists on TMDB, I just get a colored rectangle for some actors. I was expecting only colored rectangles if no image was available on TMDB.

3) How do you handle the initial file renaming? I can manage a manual rename for a movie file to movie name (year) but for each episode of a TV series Metabrowser nicely names them TV series SnnEnn episode title (from TV DB I think). Can Emby do this?

Edited by GhostRider

kanipek

1) Emby saves the movie artwork with shortnames: poster, fanart etc. How can I get Emby to save in the format movename (year)-poster etc?

3) How do you handle the initial file renaming? I can manage a manual rename for a movie file to movie name (year) but for each episode of a TV series Metabrowser nicely names them TV series SnnEnn episode title (from TV DB I think). Can Emby do this?

1) How are your movies organized?

3) There are a few programs out there that do this for you. Emby recorded TV format matches what get from Metabrowser. Other existing media files could be done with any of the tools out there - MCEBuddy is one (I use) Filebot is another

Happy2Play

Have look at the Auto Organizer plugin.

• Like 2

Happy2Play

A option for this would be nice as currently the naming scheme is dependent on folder structure. A flat movie structure uses moviename (year)-poster were movies in folders uses shortname.

• Like 1

GhostRider

Thanks for the feedback.

How does the Auto Organizer plugin work please? The Wiki help says "coming soon".

I have Emby configured to save art work to the movie folder. I'll put a feature request in for an option to save art work as full name. Looks like I may have to struggle on with metabrowser for a little while longer. If it is a nice fanart image I'll put a copy in my wallpaper folder but I cannot do that if they are all called fanart and manually renaming would be painful.

Edited by GhostRider

AdrianW

I think @@AdrianW is a metabrowser user (or former?). He may have some tips about this. Thanks !

I'm still using metabrowser, it mostly works - but I've noticed recently that content from fanart.tv is not working, it fails to bring down logos and clearart.

I'm yet to investigate transitioning to using Emby's features, so I wouldn't be much help here.

Happy2Play

I'm still using metabrowser, it mostly works - but I've noticed recently that content from fanart.tv is not working, it fails to bring down logos and clearart.

I'm yet to investigate transitioning to using Emby's features, so I wouldn't be much help here.

Well Emby does the same as the issue is at Fanart.tv.

alexpaton

Before moving to Emby, I had been using Kodi, and was attempting to have a single library that was shared.  That didn't work, which is how I ended up deciding between emby and plex.  

The reason I mention all of this is that in the process of getting here, I ended up using TMM (tiny media manager) to scrape all of the shows & movies, and to download all associated media (posters, banners, subtitles etc.). It seems to have worked pretty well.  There seem to be very few movies and series that have not been recognised by Emby, even things like obscure 1970s Czechoslovakian sci-fi series.

roberth58

I have used Emby for some time and almost every problem I have had has been caused my Auto Organize. If you search for auto organize on the forums you will see 103 results and almost everyone is listing a problem. I started using TV Rename for TV shows and tinyMediaManager for movies they work 1000% better than Auto Organize. It takes a little time for the initial scrape of your shows and movies, but well worth it.

The auto organize plugin is a community addition, and we rely on community help to support and improve it. Thanks !

i successfully moved from metabrowser to emby for all my auto organizing, renaming, and metadata and everything has been working great!

for your questions

1) didn't matter to me so i never looked into a way to change this

2) i've noticed this and based on my observation it appears that emby will download the actor image when you go into the page of the actor, again this doesn't bother me so i haven't looked into downloading them ahead of time

3) as other have mentioned you can add the auto organize plug in to handle renaming and file moving for you

i have my movies and tv shows dumped into a "sort" folder that auto organize watches. if it sees it as a tv show it moves it to the appropriate tv show/series/season folder and renames the file. same for movies, moves the file into my movies folder into a folder name and file name that i specified in the settings. then with emby i have the libraries setup to pull metadata so when it sees new media show up it auto pulls down everything for it.

the only "issue" i have is i have a separate folder for kids movies, so when a kids movie comes through auto organize puts it in the movies folder, then i just manually move it to the kids folder once its finished.

GhostRider

Thanks all for the feedback.

1) Art work naming - I will have to log a feature request to ask for Emby to consider being consistent in naming methodology and use full file name when configured to save to local movie folder. @@Luke is this possible?

2) Actor images - I have download images ahead turned on so had hoped this would populate actor image when one existed.

3) I am not sure how auto organize watch folder would work for me. I buy a box set and create a folder with TV series name and season name then label the episodes s1e1 s1e2 as I "import" them from disc. Metabrowser then converts the name into a full name and plus the metadata: TV series name s01e01 episodename.mkv + TV series name s01e01 episodename.nfo + TV series name s01e01 episodename-thumb.jpg. I then copy the whole folder over to Emby and run a scan.

Is auto organise able to this please? I think I need to find an alternative to metabrowser, it is nolonger supported and only time before some site changes their API and breaks it for good.

Edited by GhostRider

1) Art work naming 

Yes you can file a feature request.

2) Actor images

Actor images ignore this setting because the metadata providers hosting the images have asked us not to hammer them with downloads.