Netflix style User Selection

linedpaper

linedpaper

I'd like to see user selection similar to Netflix (and Plex) has it.  I login with my account and then get a user selection option.  If I select the kids accounts it logs right in, if I select mine it prompts for a 4 digit numeric only easy pin.  This is centralized as well so any application I login to I get prompted for a pin after login on my user, whereas now I have to log out each time and choose a user, plus the current implementation this way is better for local network, but not so much for remote connections.  Does that all make sense?

Thanks,

Tim

Hi.  You should be able to achieve what you want now.  Simply set the apps to not remember the login and they will prompt you for a user each time.

linedpaper

It's a bit different though that doesn't make it quite as easy.  In any of my apps I don't need to select the server as I'm logged in with my Plex account, it then shows me all of my users, I pick one and good to go.  The pin entry is easier too as it's 4 digit only and I don't have to click enter, just input the 4 digits and good to go.  The user with no pin logs right in.  I posted two screenshots below, it's just a bit easier to get logged in with a remote on Plex.

5c0ae1c41997c_2018120713_07_43Plex.png

5c0ae1d78f46f_2018120713_08_04Plex.png

Hi.  Have you seen our EasyPin feature?

I still think you can do what you want in our apps.

You would want to NOT use Emby Connect but, rather, connect to your server directly within the app.

What Emby app(s) are you using?

mastrmind11

you can totally do this now.  Only difference is being the need to hit OK after entering your pin (at least on ATV)

linedpaper

The main app I'd like this for is Roku, I'm also using Firestick, iOS and Android.  My pin screen on the roku shows me the full keyboard, I have to scroll to the numbers, input my pin and go to the bottom to click OK.  Not terrible at all, just not quite as easy.  I have the Roku apps set to auto log me out and I can pick the users from that screen, so this kind of works.  I also like that it's a global setting (or can be global) on Plex too.  I don't have to set each app to not save logins, i do login and it presents it me with the user selection screen.  If the pin entry could be made easier (show just numberpad and auto click OK after pin) that would be nice, I just like how it's global and easy on Plex.  My family still uses the Plex app mainly because it's easier for them.  I know this is small, but it's that small level of additional convenience that they prefer.

Q-Droid

I have a question about this. In order for the feature to work as described the users can't be hidden on the login screen, right? Otherwise you'd have to manually enter the name each time you wanted a different profile. But if the users are not hidden AND the Emby server is shared on the internet then the external login page would list the users as well. Is there a way to separate the internal from the external presentation of the users at login?

I have a question about this. In order for the feature to work as described the users can't be hidden on the login screen, right? Otherwise you'd have to manually enter the name each time you wanted a different profile. But if the users are not hidden AND the Emby server is shared on the internet then the external login page would list the users as well. Is there a way to separate the internal from the external presentation of the users at login?

Yes, you need to make sure you have strong passwords for your users (but internally, you can use the EasyPin).

As for the separation: Profile visibility different within LAN than from WAN

Q-Droid

Yes, you need to make sure you have strong passwords for your users (but internally, you can use the EasyPin).

As for the separation: Profile visibility different within LAN than from WAN

Thanks for the link. That feature request thread covers what I'm asking about. Is it going to be delivered with 3.6.x or is it a longer ETA?

Is it going to be delivered with 3.6.x 

It is just a request at this point in time.

Thanks.