Issue with ffmpeg binaries with 3.6.0.73 and TS-231

trodarte

trodarte
Posting a new topic to report a problem I found.

I installed emby-server-qnap_3.6.0.73_arm-x31 on my TS-231 (non-P version) running firmware 4.3.5.0760 last week and at first glance appeared to be working good.  I didn't get a chance to test a media file until this weekend.  Shortly I started noticing the following two problems which I feel are caused by the ffmpeg binaries not working with my setup.  For players I am using EmbyCon on Kodi, Emby apps on Fire TV Stick and Roku and the web interface.  

1.  I noticed that Emby would not track the progress of the media I was viewing if I stopped watching it.  It marked any media as watched completely. 

2.  I also noticed that Emby was not pulling any of the media information like runtime.  Tried refreshing metadata with no luck. 

Googling these issues lead me to figuring out that maybe ffmpeg was not working.  After some troubleshooting, I ended up replacing the ffmpeg and ffprobe binaries in the /bin folder with the qnapclub version of ffmpeg for the ts-x31 platform.  That provided a temporary workaround, but would be great if a real fix is provided within the Emby release.  Attached are the log files showing the ffmpeg errors.  If you need any other details, please let me know.  

embyserver-63679305601.txt

Edited by trodarte

trodarte

I installed 3.6.0.74 hoping it would fix the issue, and at first I thought it did.  I tried a media file i had played before after the temporary workaround, and it worked with 74.  I then scanned in a new media file and noticed that the media info details were missing again.  Also it would not play.

So it appears that if the file was scanned in before and has media metadata, it will play the file even though ffmpeg and ffprobe are sending out errors and not really doing anything.  

I replaced the ffmpeg binaries again in 74, refreshed the file, and now the file has metadata and is playable.  

Edited by trodarte

trodarte

Unfortunately it wont install.  It must check what platform the qpkg was built for and does not allow the install.  Anyway you can modify it so it allows install on x31?  

[App Center] Failed to install Emby Server 3.6.0.74. Installation package is incompatible. Use the correct package.

Also noticed the download page indicates the x19 package requires qmono?  Do you know which version of Qmono minimum?  QnapClub has not updated Qmono for the x31 platform since 4.8.1.0.  I was using Emby from QnapClub before your 3.6 release, but I was limited to their 3.4 version due to the Qmono minimum version requirement moving from  4.4.2.1 to 5.4.0.0 with their 3.5.  

Yea we would need mono 5.4+. Unfortunately at this point I do not know what the issue is with your model.

Can you provide a new log from the latest beta? Thanks.

trodarte

Here are the logs from 74.  I enabled debugging.  It acts like the executables for any of the ffmpeg binaries dont exist.  I get the same error when i attempt to run them manually through shell from the /bin directory.  

If I try to run them from a different directory (like the root of EmbyServer - /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/EmbyServer) using the absolute path, I get these errors.  

/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/EmbyServer/bin/ffprobe: error while loading shared libraries: libavdevice.so.58: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/EmbyServer/bin/ffdetect: error while loading shared libraries: libavutil.so.56: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/EmbyServer/bin/ffmpeg: error while loading shared libraries: libavdevice.so.58: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I recall seeing a post before where the binary for emby-server was giving a similar error unless you went into the /bin directory and ran it directly.  something about about older libc libraries.  mine is also running 2.14.1 in the system /lib folder. going to have to see what may help me from the details shared.

embyserver.txt

hardware_detection-63679521481.txt

Edited by trodarte

trodarte

After reading: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/65635-qnap-ts-231p-does-not-start/

I was able to make my EmbyServer install work with your ffmpeg binaries, but it required some manipulation.  It seems like the binaries for ffmpeg have to be in the directory you execute from as mentioned in the posts from other thread.  My solution was not exactly as described in that thread, but same symptoms.  

Here is what I did.  Attached you will find my log files, including a working hardware_detection log file, which I don't i had before.  

I had to move the 3 ffmpeg binaries from bin folder to the application root directory $APP_DIR and I had to modify bin/emby-server as follows:

---

#!/bin/sh

APP_DIR=$(getcfg EmbyServer Install_Path -f /etc/config/qpkg.conf)

export FONTCONFIG_PATH=$APP_DIR/etc/fonts
export ICU_DATA=$APP_DIR/share/icu/61.1
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$APP_DIR/lib:$APP_DIR/lib/samba
export LIBVA_DRIVERS_PATH=$APP_DIR/lib/dri
export SSL_CERT_DIR=/etc/ssl/certs

cd $APP_DIR

exec system/EmbyServer \
  -programdata $APP_DIR/programdata \
  -ffdetect $APP_DIR/ffdetect \
  -ffmpeg $APP_DIR/ffmpeg \
  -ffprobe $APP_DIR/ffprobe \
  -defaultdirectory /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA \
  -updatepackage 'emby-server-qnap_{version}_x86_64.qpkg'

embyserver.txt

hardware_detection-63679538538.txt

Hmm ok, so we at least know the executables work.

I wonder if it can't execute in the original location due to permissions?

Thanks for investigating.

skewed_stony

Hi, got the same problem with the media informations.

So I understand right that qmono is responsable for the media informations on any file?

Is there a work around to get the media informations to kodi?

THX

trodarte

No, not permissions.  First thing I thought too when i saw the errors in the logs.  Could the ffmpeg binaries have the location of the shared libraries or some other dependencies statically coded?  So when I move the binaries to root location it finds whatever it needs in the right place?  

[/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/EmbyServer] # cd bin
[/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/EmbyServer/bin] # ls -alt
drwxr-xr-x    2 admin    administ      4096 Dec  4 16:56 ./
-rwxr-xr-x    1 admin    administ       564 Dec  4 16:41 emby-server*
drwxr-xr-x   10 admin    administ      4096 Dec  4 16:37 ../
-rwxr-xr-x    1 admin    administ       576 Dec  4 16:15 emby-server.old*
-rwxr-xr-x    1 admin    administ     38480 Dec  1 12:46 ffdetect*
-rwxr-xr-x    1 admin    administ    198280 Dec  1 12:46 ffmpeg*
-rwxr-xr-x    1 admin    administ    111184 Dec  1 12:46 ffprobe*

Edited by trodarte