Tags - Still trying to get my head around them

hstamas

hstamas

Running latest beta of both the server and the plug in.

Currently I have 3 separate libraries in Emby:

Movie

TV

Streaming

Fom how I understand it, Emby for Kodi imports only these individual libraries into Kodi as a Tag. If I add entries into the “Tag” section of the Metadata Manager in Emby this means nothing to Kodi? That info will not be imported correct?

Edited by hstamas

hstamas

The library is added as tag in addition to any other tags associated with that video. It is not the only tag imported.

Hmm. That’s not what I’m seeing. If I add any tags within the metadata manager I never see these user added tags inside of Kodi.

hstamas

Yeah there definitely have been times that I forgot to hit the save button down at the bottom so I am aware of it. I can get Genre's to cross over but Ive never seen tags that Ive inputted show in Kodi. Let me make sure its not user error.

Thanks for  your input!

What do you mean add tags to the metadata manager?

Imagine you have more libraries than the regular "TV Shows" and "Movies". Like I do.

I have those 2 and Anime.

I then sync Emby for KODI and I create "TV Shows" and "Anime" manually on my Kodi skin because I need to select from "tags". If I don't do it, "TV Shows" (from kodi.db) displays both anime and tv shows. And does not even show the filter "show by date added". Also, using "IMDB ratings update" with tags method, does not work for specific shows. Tags are a welcome addition for people that have multiple libraries despite having it's drawbacks.

For example: Each time I repair libraries I have to manually go over the "tv show" and "anime" thing in my skin, from within the Emby for KODI plugin option etc etc.

What you're trying to say is creating your own tags and kodi reading them?

Angelblue05

Yeah there definitely have been times that I forgot to hit the save button down at the bottom so I am aware of it. I can get Genre's to cross over but Ive never seen tags that Ive inputted show in Kodi. Let me make sure its not user error.

Thanks for  your input!

And, was it user error? I've tested on my side and adding tags in emby are added to Kodi, so it seems to work. I've tried only for movie however. Keep me posted.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

hstamas

And, was it user error? I've tested on my side and adding tags in emby are added to Kodi, so it seems to work. I've tried only for movie however. Keep me posted.

Nope not user error this time. If I go into Emby's Metadata Manager for any particular TV show (havent had the need to do anything with movies as of yet) and add a tag, it doesnt show up in Kodi. Ive just taken to adding things that I need to Genres instead and use that for my purposes. In this case setting up smart playlists.

hstamas

So it’s only an issue with tv show tags then?

As far as I know. I will test again tonight and report back.

Any idea how long I should I should wait until I would expect to see a new tag synced to Kodi?

hstamas

Ok TV tags seem to be working if I do a full resync.

Now the big question! In what situation would you use a tag instead of a genre entry? Are tags only useful for tagging libraries?

LongMan

Tags are another way of the denoting a collection of videos. In Emby collections are quite flexible. You can put any movie into a collection that you create. Marvel Cinematic Universe, DC Comics are some that are frequently referenced as desired collections. You can even have a movie in more than one collection.

However, in Kodi you are not allowed to put just any movie into a Movie Set. The information is pulled by the scraper and it only make sets of movies that were released that way. Hence, you cannot have A Marvel Cinematic Universe with all Marvel movies in Kodi. You can have Iron Man Collection, Avengers Collection, Spider-Man Collection, Spider-Man (Avengers) Collection, The Amazing Spider-Man Collection etc.

Tags were added to Kodi so that you can do your own groping. You can use tags to create Marvel's Cinematic Universe if you so desire.

btw. Since a movie can only be in one Movie Set in Kodi, I think Emby for Kodi places the movie in the last collection where it is found, if it is present in more than one collection. Angelblue can correct me if I got that wrong.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

LongMan

Edited by LongMan
  • Like 2