New Movies Not Being Displayed in Emby When Stored on A Particular Drive

HSC1073

I am on Windows 10 system and running Emby Server Version 3.5.3.0 and accessing it on the same box through the web browser.

1. I created a new directory on a drive: D:Vid_D\Movies (Vid_D and Movies both new directories)

2. To make sure I had no sharing or security issues, I allowed “Everyone” full control.

3. Then through my web browser, I added the aforementioned path, using the Library/Manage Library/”Folders +” function in Emby's Server Settings UI (web browser)

4. I visibly verified that Emby listed the new folder in the library.

5. I then added a movie to the new directory/path (using Window's Explorer)

6. Moments later, I received a new notification from my browser saying a new movie had been added to Emby, and it displayed the correct movie name and image in the notification.

7. I waited for a minute and then checked in the “latest movies” section of Emby (web browser), but I did not see the movie I added.

8. I used the Emby search feature, but it returned no results for the movie.

9. I tried browsing my library alphabetically, using the Emby web UI, but could not find the newly added movie.

I repeated steps 5 – 9 with a different movie, with the same result: Emby notified a me of the new movie, but I could not actually locate it in the collection (see 5 – 9).

I then rebooted Emby server and tried steps 5 – 9 with a third movie, with the same result: Emby notified a me of the new movie, but could not actually locate it in the collection (see 5 – 9).

I then created a new directory on the same drive (D:Vid_D2\Movies) steps 1 – 9 with another movie, with the same result: Emby notified a me of the new movie, but could not actually locate it in the collection (see 5 – 9).

I then tried adding one of the previously attempted movies to a directory that Emby has been monitoring for months (F:Vid_F\Movies). This time I received the notification AND I was able to actually find the movie in the web UI. In other words, it worked as expected.

So, it appears that Emby does not like my D: drive for some reason. My system partition is on C:, which is located on the same physical disk.

I have checked the Emby log, but I see no exceptions

Oh, and I am using Chrome, because Firefox has become too slow for me, but it does not seem to change the issue, no matter what browser I use.

I am attaching the log, please let me know if you have any ideas.

embyserver.txt

Hi there, can you please go over an example of one that is missing? Thanks !

I guess I am a little unsure of what you mean? In other words, I am unsure of what detail I left out that you are requesting? I have provided some pretty detailed repro steps. I guess I did not list filenames or types, so I will list a few:

File 1. I Vitelloni (mp4)
File 2. BlackKKlansman (mkv)
File 3. Bright Star (avi)

To be clear: ANY file that I try to add using steps 1 - 9 do not show up in Emby. I can take that same file (say File 1), and put it in a directory that has not been newly added to Emby (like F:Vid_F\Movies) and Emby will perform as expected, without issue.

I have now tried this test of creating a new directory on D: and adding it to my Emby library (steps 1 - 9) more than a dozen times, with a dozen different files. 

I have been running an Emby server for a couple years now, and I am pretty familiar with it. Over the course of that time, I have encountered many errors with Emby, I have been able to track down and fix the issues without posting on the forum. This one I have spent a few hours on already and has me perplexed.

Can you provide me with some information that I have not thought of or tested yet?

See attached. One thing worth noting: Emby does not deposit the usual image files in the directories.

post-170340-0-45555800-1543474029_thumb.png

post-170340-0-90357500-1543474042_thumb.png

post-170340-0-54702200-1543474059_thumb.png

post-170340-0-40889500-1543474068_thumb.png

Edited by HSC1073

Hi.  In the library setup, are you actually entering these paths as you are typing them above (D:Vid_2\Movies)?  If so, just for grins, can you try entering it as "D:\Vid_2\Movies"?

Hi.  In the library setup, are you actually entering these paths as you are typing them above (D:Vid_2\Movies)?  If so, just for grins, can you try entering it as "D:\Vid_2\Movies"?

No, it was just a typo made in the forum, that was then replicated through copy & paste. In the Emby settings, I did not forget the backslash (nor do I manually type the paths in). You can see in this picture: 

post-170340-0-57463600-1543526524_thumb.png

Edited by HSC1073

Regarding saving images in media directories, this is a per library setting that you need to enable.

Right, perhaps I should have added more information about why I was pointing that out. Currently, in EVERY other library location where I have movies, it will place those images in the folders, when I add a new movie. In the locations where I am having trouble (any newly created folder on D:), it does not put the images in there. Correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding that the setting about whether images are stored in the directory, is not done on a "per folder" basis. Therefore, since it is not occurring in these newly added folders, then it seems to indicate that something different is happening with these particular folders, which I was hoping might provide a clue to better diagnose the problem.

It's not per folder but it is per library so I would review your settings.

Review your file permissions as well. If the server is denied write access then it obviously won't happen either.

can you show a screenshot of emby library setup with all your libraries? thanks.

So, I only have one other library, which is for TV shows. It is set up much the same way. I am attaching the file. Hopefully this is what you want, if not let me know:

post-170340-0-00461500-1543528041_thumb.png

Review your file permissions as well. If the server is denied write access then it obviously won't happen either.

I am on Windows 10 system and running Emby Server Version 3.5.3.0 and accessing it on the same box through the web browser.

1. I created a new directory on a drive: D:Vid_D\Movies (Vid_D and Movies both new directories)

2. To make sure I had no sharing or security issues, I allowed “Everyone” full control.

As I previously stated in my first post, I looked at both security and sharing and made sure "Everyone" had "full control." If there is some special user I need to add, please let me know. It seems that Emby uses the account with which I am logged in (according to the task manager). I have since gone back and added my specific account to both security and sharing (which should not be necessary, because my account should be included with "Everyone"). I do not see that anything has changed. Also, there are no denial of permissions visible that might conflict.

I'm simply telling you what happens in regards to permissions. It is a combination of your settings for that particular library, as well as folder permissions.

And why do you feel they're not being displayed? Can you show a screenshot in emby to demonstrate?

1. I then added a movie to the new directory/path (using Window's Explorer)

2. Moments later, I received a new notification from my browser saying a new movie had been added to Emby, and it displayed the correct movie name and image in the notification.

3. I waited for a minute and then checked in the “latest movies” section of Emby (web browser), but I did not see the movie I added.

4. I used the Emby search feature, but it returned no results for the movie.

5. I tried browsing my library alphabetically, using the Emby web UI, but could not find the newly added movie.

As I previously stated in my first post, I "feel" they are not there, because in fact, they are NOT THERE. As I stated, when I try multiple ways to locate them through the UI (see steps 3 - 5 in my self-quote), they are not visible. I am attaching images so you will have visual confirmation of what I am saying. 

The first image shows the movie folder. The second image shows the notification from Emby that it noticed the movie and found the correct meta-data/image for it. I then waited five minutes to give Emby a chance to catch up, and then checked the latest movies section (3rd image), searched for the movie (4th image), and then browsed the "I" section. Other than the notification from Emby, there is no evidence of this movie in my library. This has been tried repeatedly with multiple movies and multiple directories on D: (please see my initial post).

post-170340-0-73614000-1543532506_thumb.png

post-170340-0-81821300-1543532520_thumb.png

post-170340-0-78564400-1543532542_thumb.png

post-170340-0-74104400-1543532554_thumb.png

post-170340-0-37800300-1543532583_thumb.png

I'm simply telling you what happens in regards to permissions. It is a combination of your settings for that particular library, as well as folder permissions.

So based, on the information I provided to you, do there seem like there are any permissions I am missing--that is what I am trying to understand?

Moreover, I guess I am a little confused by many of the responses so far. Let us say there was a permissions problem: would not Windows throw an exception, if Emby was trying to write to a directory that it was not allowed to access? Why would that exception not be logged by Emby? Is the code for Emby "swallowing" exceptions? Are there try/catch statements in the code that do not log exceptions?

Happy2Play

Enabling Debug logging may show you more information.  Note you need to restart Emby when enabling or disabling this feature.

Does making that folder its own library make any difference?

Edited by Happy2Play

Happy2Play, thank you. Your response provided me new information and something new to try. I will try enabling debugging logging (and restarting Emby), which might provide some welcome additional information. I will also try making the folder its own library and see if there are any changes. Based on my schedule, I probably will not get the opportunity to try this until tomorrow though.

I think some of my struggle with some of the other responses so far, is that despite the frequent requests I have seen for more information in other threads of the Emby forum, I did not have the sense my initial detailed post was thoroughly read. Perhaps I am wrong, and it was read and I did not communicate as clearly as I thought or intended...but, just basic things like: if I said that Emby was providing a notification about the new movie (and I did say that in #6), then that likely means that most of the basic settings that I could have screwed up or "fat fingered" were correct.

Anyway, I do appreciate the other attempts to help so far, but was a little frustrated with the sense of progress. Thank you for your response, and helping me get to some "new ground."

dansblackcat

Could it be an issue with Drive or Folder permissions on the D drive?

Have a look at the drive or folder properties under security settings, also check the owner tab.

I've had issues in the past where my windows user account didn't have the appropriate control and owner settings set up on one of my drives.

As I previously stated in my first post, I "feel" they are not there, because in fact, they are NOT THERE. As I stated, when I try multiple ways to locate them through the UI (see steps 3 - 5 in my self-quote), they are not visible. I am attaching images so you will have visual confirmation of what I am saying. 

The first image shows the movie folder. The second image shows the notification from Emby that it noticed the movie and found the correct meta-data/image for it. I then waited five minutes to give Emby a chance to catch up, and then checked the latest movies section (3rd image), searched for the movie (4th image), and then browsed the "I" section. Other than the notification from Emby, there is no evidence of this movie in my library. This has been tried repeatedly with multiple movies and multiple directories on D: (please see my initial post).

The fact that you got the notification means it is in the Emby database, so we just need to look at why you can't find it. Have you configured any parental controls settings for the logged in emby user, such as max parental rating or blocking unrated content?

So based, on the information I provided to you, do there seem like there are any permissions I am missing--that is what I am trying to understand?

Moreover, I guess I am a little confused by many of the responses so far. Let us say there was a permissions problem: would not Windows throw an exception, if Emby was trying to write to a directory that it was not allowed to access? Why would that exception not be logged by Emby? Is the code for Emby "swallowing" exceptions? Are there try/catch statements in the code that do not log exceptions?

Yes we catch the exception and then save the file to the server's internal metadata folder. This way it continues to just work. Most will be happy to see images.