Can't Switch Audio Track on TRUEHD 7.1 Files

tietherope
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

tietherope

Hi All, 

Just set up Emby on my Shield and DS918+ this past weekend. 

I have several files with TRUEHD 7.1 as the main audio track, but also have Dolby Digital 5.1 and some commentary tracks.

The movies will not play because my audio is used through ARC and I understand that will not work, which is fine. However, it does not let me switch to a different audio track. Maybe because the movie never starts playing?

I can however go into setting and turn on "Downmix to stereo" and then the film will play. From there I can switch between tracks and if I leave it on Dolby Digital 5.1, I can then go turn off the downmix to stereo and then come back to the movie and switch through tracks as well. However if I pick TRUEHD again, then the movie stops playing and I can't switch audio tracks again. 

I have attached what I hope is the proper section of the server log. If not, it's my first time with that, so please let me know and I'll get a better one. 

Hopefully I didn't miss a very obvious place which says this is normal.

Thanks for any help or insight you can give. 

Server Log.txt

Edited by tietherope

tietherope

Hey, thanks for the response. The log is attached. 

It should show me starting on Dolby Digital 5.1, switching to TRUE HD 7.1 and then trying to switch back to DD, but the change not taking effect.

Let me know if I'm missing anything. 

FFMPEG Log.txt

• Solution

Hi.  The reason the item is not starting is due to the PGS subs being selected.  When we have to transcode due to the audio then those subs have to be burned in, which your server is just not powerful enough to do.

If you obtain external text subs for this item, then this problem should go away.

tietherope

Thank you so much! Turned subtitles off and it works. 

I can then watch with it on the TRUE HD track without subs. Or on DD 5.1 with the second English subs selected. Which would be the subs I set up to download through Open Subtitles?

Thanks for the impressively quick help!  

• 4 weeks later...
tietherope

Hi.  The reason the item is not starting is due to the PGS subs being selected.  When we have to transcode due to the audio then those subs have to be burned in, which your server is just not powerful enough to do.

If you obtain external text subs for this item, then this problem should go away.

Hi, 

I just updated to the Synology Beta 3.6.0.80 and have now lost my subs. Any files that are Dolby+ or higher show as direct streaming and when I turn on subs, they do not show up. 

These are files that watching yesterday on the stable release, I could see the subtitles. Dolby 5.1 files that direct play, instead of direct stream, show the subs. 

Any way to remedy this? Thanks! 

Edit: In regards to direct streaming it says the following below when I play Dolby+ files. All the files, whether Dolby 5.1 or Dolby+ are an .mkv

So is it an incorrect message and it is direct streaming due to audio? Or is it misreading the container?

Direct streaming

The media is compatible with the device regarding resolution and media type (H.264, AC3, etc.), but is in an incompatible file container (.mkv, .avi, .wmv, etc.). The video will be re-packaged on the fly before streaming it to the device.

Direct Streaming a file uses very little processing power without any loss in video quality.

FFMPEG Log2.txt

FFMPEG Log3.txt

Server Log2.txt

Edited by tietherope

tietherope

@@tietherope, it doesn't appear you had any subtitles selected. Can you please try selecting them in the video player? Thanks !

Thanks for the response. 

For those logs I started playing the show, went to subtitles, and selected English. The info showing then changes from CC (Off) to CC (Eng), but subtitles don't actually display. Doing the exact same thing on a Dolby 5.1 file results in the subtitles showing. 

Here is a new log for the same episode, but selecting the subtitles before I hit play (Android TV Beta). Let me know any other info you may need, 

FFMPEG Log4.txt

tietherope

Can you attach the emby server log as well? Thanks.

I attached one above in post #6, but just made and attached new one where I chose the subtitles before I hit play, in case that shows differently.

I have also attached a massive log from yesterday (because I don't know what to cut out) when the subs worked on the stable release. 

From my uneducated browsing this is what I see that sticks out to me:

The log from the beta release there is - 

2018-12-23 13:48:06.827 Error SubtitleEncoder: ffmpeg subtitle extraction failed for file:"/volume1/TV/Barry/Season 1/Barry - S01E03 - Chapter Three- Make the Unsafe Choice.mkv" to /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var/cache/subtitles/7/72fe3b92431305817739c4f1692ddd7f_636706243460000000_2_0_0_False.subrip

In the log from the stable release there is -

2018-12-22 13:23:05.454 Info SubtitleEncoder: ffmpeg subtitle extraction completed for file:"/volume1/TV/Barry/Season 1/Barry - S01E03 - Chapter Three- Make the Unsafe Choice.mkv" to /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var/data/subtitles/6/69c7dadd-6eef-dd2d-b7e2-7a0a2a47e3f1.srt

Thanks again!

Server Log Synology Beta Subs Not Playing.txt

Server Log Synology Stable Subs Working.txt

Edited by tietherope