Trouble with Closed Captions

bdixon83

bdixon83

I am trying to make the switch from Plex to Emby but am having some trouble with closed captions being recognized. I am Running the latest stable server version for Windows.  I have some TV shows that have EIA_608 captions embedded into the video stream. The Video and Audio streams are in mkv containers and all videos are h264. Plex is able to detect the embedded captions and can be toggled on/off during playback. Emby does not appear to detect them. Is there a setting I may be missing somewhere for this or is it just a imitation with emby currently?

bdixon83

Hi.  Which app are you using?

Using the web app with chrome mostly for testing but also have the samsung tizen app and fire tv app.

Happy2Play

I am trying to make the switch from Plex to Emby but am having some trouble with closed captions being recognized. I am Running the latest stable server version for Windows.  I have some TV shows that have EIA_608 captions embedded into the video stream. The Video and Audio streams are in mkv containers and all videos are h264. Plex is able to detect the embedded captions and can be toggled on/off during playback. Emby does not appear to detect them. Is there a setting I may be missing somewhere for this or is it just a imitation with emby currently?

Do you see them in Media Info?

@@Luke

Is this a ffmpeg issue?  CC are available in other common players.  My file is a mp4, I noticed as a mkv mdiainfo did not show eia-608 either.

5bfef7c9c1dbc_eia.jpg

Edited by Happy2Play

bdixon83

For curiosity I ran the file through VLC and checked it. They show in VLC also. 

5bff02aa2644f_Capture4.png

Edited by bdixon83

Hi.  We haven't implemented CC in most of the apps yet but the beta version of the Fire TV app does have it now (although we're not looking for them in an mkv container...).

• Like 1

bdixon83

Hi.  We haven't implemented CC in most of the apps yet but the beta version of the Fire TV app does have it now (although we're not looking for them in an mkv container...)

I appreciate the information. Do you know which containers are supported currently? And is it possible to add mkv support in the future? I went here https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/24350-android-open-beta-testing/ to learn more about the beta and would definitely like to try it out and provide feedback if possible. 

Right now we're only looking for them in transport streams (mpegts).

Can you provide me a sample mkv with one of these CC tracks in it?

You can PM me a dropbox or similar link.

Thanks.

bdixon83

Right now we're only looking for them in transport streams (mpegts).

Can you provide me a sample mkv with one of these CC tracks in it?

You can PM me a dropbox or similar link.

Thanks.

Just sent you a PM. I appreciate you offering to look at this.

Thanks