No Live TV channel guide? A bit confused...

WilliamGr

WilliamGr

So, I just picked up Emby Premiere, and Live TV with my HD Homerun isn’t showing anything useful. With Plex it just automatically shows me all shows coming up, I can schedule to record those shows etc. With Emby, I don’t really know what I’m doing. I would just like my OTA channels to populate. This is what I see, attached.

All help appreciated. Thank you!

post-380873-0-69434800-1543251341_thumb.png

WilliamGr

Hi. Did you setup a guide provider?

Live TV

Hi. Did you setup a guide provider?

Live TV

I figured you’d ask that. :)

Thanks for the reply. No, I haven’t. I had searched through the forum and it seemed like you had to pay a subscription for this? Is that true?

Assuming that’s not true, I’m not sure which guide provider would be “best” for my relatively simple needs.

Thank you.

Edited by WilliamGr

Ok, the answer is yes, as of today this requires subscription with Schedules Direct. But if you stay tuned a little longer, this might be changing soon. I would suggest just doing one single month of Schedules Direct.

WilliamGr

Thank you for the reply. I think for now, to save me the hassle, I’ll stick with Plex for the Live TV. If something changes with Emby then I’ll revisit.

I’m in (long) process of switching to Emby because of the direction Plex is going. But I also recognize some things won’t be as smooth as I’d like.

Thank you for the replies, speedily. You’ve been really great.

Jdiesel

I've been reading between the lines about Live TV and it sounds like LiveTV moving to a Premiere only feature might coincide with some type of agreement to provide guide info from Schedules Direct, or another provider, free of charge. I have no objection to this as it seems like the best way to provide the best LiveTV experience for tuner users but  I can also see how with might draw criticism from IPTV users bringing in their own guide data. More Premiere users benefits everyone though so I hope my hunch is true.

The forum discussions should be interesting, I'll make some popcorn for the show

• Like 1

WilliamGr

That’s my feeling, too. I also hope the Emby team is careful in what they do to not alienate users.

Plex is doing a really amazing alienation job right now. Even their forums are unfathomable these days.

Jdiesel

If this forum taught me anything its that any change is guaranteed to alienate someone.

I think this is the right way to go those. Those coming from Plex Pass are used to having the guide data provided, people moving over to Emby are surprised to find out they need to fork out an addition $25/year for schedule direct data. This will manage those surprises while at the same time providing more value to a Premiere membership. 

arrbee99

And maybe the odd user who might end up paying for a service that isn't available in their country, assuming it is SD, like say New Zealand, and those who already pay for a service because they're outside of a SD area, and so end up paying twice.

Still, like you say, there's always pluses and minuses so we'll see what develops...

jasonmcroy

I would hope that moving over to a paid guide service within Premium user accounts would also provide nicer image handling than what is currently shown. The images currently are bad for Series and scheduled recordings tab. It is one area that Plex and HDHomerun have done really well. I am sure their images come from the guide provider and they look really nice.