Emby 3.5.3.0 Bugs on Debian Stretch

preindl

Moving to Emby 3.5.3.0 on Debian Stretch revealed some bugs. I report here in the hope that it helps improve Emby. All bugs have been verified on the upgraded production server, reinstalled production server,  and a new installation on a virtual machine.

1. Permanent "Check for plugin updates failed"

onnection to https://www.mb3admin.com/admin/service/EmbyPackages.json timed out at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.CoreHttpClientManager.SendAsyncInternal(HttpRequestOptions options, String httpMethod) at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.CoreHttpClientManager.SendAsync(HttpRequestOptions options, String httpMethod) at Emby.Server.Implementations.Updates.InstallationManager.GetAvailablePackagesWithoutRegistrationInfo(CancellationToken cancellationToken) at Emby.Server.Implementations.Updates.InstallationManager.GetAvailablePluginUpdates(Version applicationVersion, Boolean withAutoUpdateEnabled, CancellationToken cancellationToken) at Emby.Server.Implementations.ScheduledTasks.PluginUpdateTask.Execute(CancellationToken cancellationToken, IProgress`1 progress) at Emby.Server.Implementations.ScheduledTasks.ScheduledTaskWorker.ExecuteInternal(TaskOptions options)

2. Cannot set password for new user:

create new local user -> go to password page (and add a password) results in the error message

"Login Failure - Invalid username or password. Please try again."

The only way to set a password is logging in as the new user and set the password

3. While not necessarily an a 'bug', administering an Emby server exposed to the interned (with a minimum security standard) is non-trivial since users tend to have many permissions and passwords are not required by default. Any strategy of a 'default' user policy applicable to all users would be highly appreciated.

For completeness, the following permissions should not be granted by default imo

- Allow remote control of shared devices

- Allow Media Deletion From 'All Libraries' (this should be none by default)

- Empty password (if allowed at all, this should require the admin to specifically enable 'empty password'; otherwise user should be prompted to set a password on first login and trivial passwords should not be accepted)

Hi there, thanks for the feedback. Regarding #1, can you please attach the complete emby server log?

For #2, I'm assuming this is Firefox? If so, it's due to the FF password manager. We've added a workaround for the next release. Thanks !

While firewalld is active, it does not block outgoing connections and the machine is able to reach these domains (see below). Am I missing something?

$ ping api.github.com
PING api.github.com (192.30.253.116) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from lb-192-30-253-116-iad.github.com (192.30.253.116): icmp_seq=1 ttl=51 time=8.67 ms
64 bytes from lb-192-30-253-116-iad.github.com (192.30.253.116): icmp_seq=2 ttl=51 time=8.66 ms
64 bytes from lb-192-30-253-116-iad.github.com (192.30.253.116): icmp_seq=3 ttl=51 time=8.56 ms
64 bytes from lb-192-30-253-116-iad.github.com (192.30.253.116): icmp_seq=4 ttl=51 time=8.58 ms
64 bytes from lb-192-30-253-116-iad.github.com (192.30.253.116): icmp_seq=5 ttl=51 time=8.60 ms
--- api.github.com ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 4007ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 8.561/8.618/8.672/0.042 ms

$ ping emby.media
PING emby.media (173.230.139.54) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from emby.media (173.230.139.54): icmp_seq=1 ttl=53 time=19.0 ms
64 bytes from emby.media (173.230.139.54): icmp_seq=2 ttl=53 time=18.9 ms
64 bytes from emby.media (173.230.139.54): icmp_seq=3 ttl=53 time=19.0 ms
64 bytes from emby.media (173.230.139.54): icmp_seq=4 ttl=53 time=18.9 ms
64 bytes from emby.media (173.230.139.54): icmp_seq=5 ttl=53 time=21.4 ms
--- emby.media ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 4003ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 18.959/19.487/21.416/0.981 ms

Edited by preindl

Juan Simón

Same problem here on Arch Linux:

No such device or address at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.CoreHttpClientManager.SendAsyncInternal(HttpRequestOptions options, String httpMethod) at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.CoreHttpClientManager.SendAsync(HttpRequestOptions options, String httpMethod) at Emby.Server.Implementations.Updates.InstallationManager.GetAvailablePackagesWithoutRegistrationInfo(CancellationToken cancellationToken) at Emby.Server.Implementations.Updates.InstallationManager.GetAvailablePluginUpdates(Version applicationVersion, Boolean withAutoUpdateEnabled, CancellationToken cancellationToken) at Emby.Server.Implementations.ScheduledTasks.PluginUpdateTask.Execute(CancellationToken cancellationToken, IProgress`1 progress) at Emby.Server.Implementations.ScheduledTasks.ScheduledTaskWorker.ExecuteInternal(TaskOptions options)

The firewall in my PC is open for all connections and the router doesn't block any address. In fact, I can browse the available plugins from server dashboard.

As an update on 1:

Debian 9.6 clean install, Ethernet networking with Network Manager configured with static IP - no firewall active, Emby fresh install with manual (without loading a "backup") configuration for music only access using DLNA and NGIX reverse proxy for mobile devices.

It is possible to access/browse and install Addons. However, I get the following messages

5c004feee2e3d_Error.png

Clicking on (i)

5c0051b81893e_Error2.png

Edited by preindl

Any suggestion how to debug this?

The machine reaches the required addresses. Not sure if Emby can. Do the "Advanced/Remote settings" affect how Emby attempts to reach the servers?

• 1 month later...

I am getting these same issues now that I've switched from Windows 10 > Debian 8.10 .. no firewalld or iptables or any type of connection filtering software running. This Linux box is wide-open.

Otherwise, everything else is great.

Edit: Logs uploaded

embyserver.txt

Edited by skuuup