Convert burns in subtitles

widget100

widget100

Two issues:

1. I record stuff with TVheadend and have problems in some ways playing back with Emby. Chromcast transcodes but playing on Android or the Web nothing plays or transcodes. I've tried .TS and .MKV containers with similar but slightly different results.

2. I can get round the above by just setting the folder to autoconvert everything for TV, but Emby appears to burn in the subtitles and I cant prevent it.

The FFMPEG line in the log looks like this:

2018-11-25 14:52:28.367 Info MediaEncoder: ProcessRun 'Encoding 69d81c' Execute: /opt/emby-server/bin/ffmpeg -f webm -i file:"/mnt/ssd/Recordings/A Cook Abroad_ Dave Myers' Egypt2018-11-25.webm" -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -c:v:0 libx264 -force_key_frames "expr:gte(t,n_forced*5)" -filter_complex "[0:3]scale=704:576:force_original_aspect_ratio=decrease;[0:0]overlay" -pix_fmt yuv420p  -maxrate 1244000 -bufsize 2488000 -profile high -level 4.1 -crf 23 -x264opts:0 subme=0:me_range=4:rc_lookahead=10:me=dia:no_chroma_me:8x8dct=0:partitions=none -vsync -1 -map_metadata -1 -map_chapters -1 -threads 0 -codec:a:0 aac -strict experimental -ac 2 -ab 256000 -ar 44100  -y "/var/lib/emby/sync/21/45/69d81c8b-0bdb-4bd0-90f1-9ac255df5b8f.mp4"

Is there a setting somewhere that stops the subtitles being burnt in, or can you add one?

The target profile options are mobile devices and smart TVs. Neither of those will support your subtitle format so that's why this happens. If we were to preserve the original subtitle format, then your converted file would have to be transcoded during playback, which defeats the purpose.

widget100

Ok, I get that but I don't want the subs at all.

I can't stop TVH recording the multiple audio tracks and the subs, can we have a switch to just ignore them rather than burn them in?

It goes by the user profile settings of the person doing the convert job, so you could set your subtitle mode to no subtitles. in the future we plan to add subtitle options right into the conversion dialog. Thanks.

widget100

Took me ages to find the setting you mean, and I'd already had set Subtitle Mode to none.

On the Burn Subtitle  the only options are Auto, Only Image Formats, and All Complex Formats - There should be a "none" there, or alternatively the Burn setting should respect the Subtitle Mode setting.

However I've done a quick test and if I set Only Image Formats it solves my problem on BBC recordings at least.