Problems with nvidia shield playback.

phrostb

I have my server hosted on my Windows 10 PC on the same LAN. I was instructed to post here from this topic:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/54017-shield-how-is-it-as-an-emby-client/&do=findComment&comment=652944

i'm getting freezes every couple seconds (2017 nvidia shield). at first i had all the hardware acceleration options enabled using NVENC but then i disabled them and it still happens.. also when i load the file it looks like it loads 3 times slowly and then finally starts, and if i try to seek forward it takes about 30 seconds to actually seek. here are the log files i found

https://pastebin.com/edrp1267

https://pastebin.com/Pd4BtxVd

https://pastebin.com/1MSKusNp

embyserver.txt

embyserver-63678700800.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-1e93df2a-97e3-49f4-87f2-8938881368e5.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-383b9662-1fb2-4128-9ebb-c09be65e993c.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-3d06f322-c1d9-4f4d-bcd7-39e05f261689.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-baa0ae63-30a7-4587-b8b9-fd851e7b7d11.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-836e0a23-c011-47ee-b7ee-0b719c5d1627.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-2a0b0ed6-6ba0-4d39-989f-36d9a4be6214.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-9810421c-046a-4477-87e6-bd720d6a3400.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-c3662dac-5d4b-4e09-9acb-ef3f75c138cc.txt

Hi.  You are trying to transcode a 4k video with graphic subtitles burned in and your server simply isn't powerful enough to do that fast enough for smooth playback.

It looks like the app tries to direct play but it cannot so it has to fall back to transcoding.  If you turn off the subtitles, does it play properly?

If so, and you require the subs, you could obtain external text-based ones that would probably solve this issue but I'd also like to know why the direct playback failed.  Can you please send a log from the app right after playing this item for a few seconds?

Ok it seems to work fine when I turn off subtitles for this movie... I noticed that with subtitles on it says "Trans/I" but when they're off it says "Remux/I".

Also i tried changing the settings so that it would use opensubtitles.org instead but it didn't seem to work...

I just uploaded the log a minute ago. It has me turning subtitles on and off while playing the video (with both normal play and laggy play). my username is Dima.

Any idea why it works fine in Plex even with subtitles on?

also another thing i just noticed... just tried playing a DD5.1 tv show and it's outputting 2.0 PCM for some reason :(

Audio Title Eng Dolby Digital 5.1 Default
Language eng
Codec AC3
Layout 5.1
Channels 6 ch
Bitrate 384 kbps
Sample rate 48000 Hz
Default Yes

Transcoding - 5.4 Mbps ts h264 aac

Transcoding
The media is being converted into a format that is compatible with the device that is playing the media.

Reason for transcoding:
Direct play error
Media bitrate exceeds limit.
Edited by phrostb

Why do you feel that open subtitles didn't work?

i tried it and it just kept playing the original subtitles, which were weird, they were located in the middle of my screen for half the movie and weren't there at all for the other half. i don't know how specific i can be about what i'm watching but it was Goodfellas 1990 BluRay-UHD 10Bit 2160p Multi H265-d3g (i own the blu-ray as well)

the subtitles showed up in the middle of the screen for both plex and emby, so i don't blame emby for that

Edited by phrostb

Why do you feel it is weird that it remembered your previous subtitle track selection?

what do you mean by "previous subtitle track selection"? i configured emby and plex to automatically show all english subtitles. the weird part is that this particular movie had subtitles in the middle of the screen (not at the bottom), and that it only displayed them for half the movie.

also any idea why Bobs.Burgers.S04.1080p.WEB-DL.DD5.1.H264-iT00NZ was not only transcoding in emby but also playing 2.0 PCM instead of DD5.1 passthrough? it plays in plex just fine

also any idea why Bobs.Burgers.S04.1080p.WEB-DL.DD5.1.H264-iT00NZ was not only transcoding in emby but also playing 2.0 PCM instead of DD5.1 passthrough? it plays in plex just fine

Can we look at an example? Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

what do you mean by "previous subtitle track selection"?

You previously played the original subtitles, so the next time you played, it remembered that.

You previously played the original subtitles, so the next time you played, it remembered that.

Ok.. so why did it do that and how do i get it to not remember my selection? How can i force it to use opensubtitles each time (that doesn't require transcoding right?)

Can we look at an example? Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

Yes. I just uploaded my log at 2:06pm EST and my username is Dima. Do you want me to open another thread for this issue? Also, when I just tried playing it it played the DD5.1 properly and it says "Native" where before it said "Trans/I". I'm not sure what was different this time.

Ok.. so why did it do that and how do i get it to not remember my selection? How can i force it to use opensubtitles each time (that doesn't require transcoding right?)

It did that because that's what we want it to do. We don't currently have any settings for this but it's planned for the future. Playback never uses opensubtitles. Subtitle downloading occurs as a background process that runs on the server, which downloads subtitles and adds them to your collection. Once they're downloaded, then they will be available for playback.

It did that because that's what we want it to do. We don't currently have any settings for this but it's planned for the future. Playback never uses opensubtitles. Subtitle downloading occurs as a background process that runs on the server, which downloads subtitles and adds them to your collection. Once they're downloaded, then they will be available for playback.

Ok cool.. so is there any way I can setup emby to automatically display english subtitles when they are available (either embedded, or in a separate file, or on opensubtitles) and not force it to transcode? I actually really like emby and would be happy to pay for the lifetime license but I'd like the experience to be as seamless as possible. Maybe it was just that one movie that was problematic?

Although the bob's burgers thing was strange too... a couple hours ago we sat down to watch and it was transcoding and outputting in 2.0 PCM, but when I tried it again just now it was native DD5.1, any idea what would cause something like that? Should I wait for you to take a look at the two logs I uploaded?

Hi.  Unfortunately, in the first log you sent (Goodfellas) you did so many things that I could not see the beginning of playback to tell me why the initial direct streaming failed.  Can you please re-play that item and only reproduce the one issue of it burning in the graphic subs and then send that log again?

In the other log, it looks like playback of Bob's Burgers was fine.  It direct streamed, played your DD audio track and displayed the internal subs (which are text-based).

Hi.  Unfortunately, in the first log you sent (Goodfellas) you did so many things that I could not see the beginning of playback to tell me why the initial direct streaming failed.  Can you please re-play that item and only reproduce the one issue of it burning in the graphic subs and then send that log again?

In the other log, it looks like playback of Bob's Burgers was fine.  It direct streamed, played your DD audio track and displayed the internal subs (which are text-based).

Ok I just submitted another log simply playing the movie for a minute.. in that minute it froze twice, seeking is very slow with subs on.

Also, I realize Bob's burgers was fine in my log.. but it was definitely playing in 2.0 PCM earlier in the day, I guess I can't reproduce the bug now?

Also, I realize Bob's burgers was fine in my log.. but it was definitely playing in 2.0 PCM earlier in the day, I guess I can't reproduce the bug now?

I doubt this was a bug.  More likely, there were problems trying to play that item at some point as well and it had fallen back to transcoding.  One of the last-ditch error fallback methods is just stereo audio.

Thanks for the new log.  The issue is that the type of internal subtitles this item has (vobsub) is unsupported in the player so it must transcode and burn these in to display them.

Your best solution here is going to be to obtain external text-based subs.  Emby can help you do that.

Thanks for the new log.  The issue is that the type of internal subtitles this item has (vobsub) is unsupported in the player so it must transcode and burn these in to display them.

Your best solution here is going to be to obtain external text-based subs.  Emby can help you do that.

Ok can you help me configure it? It looks like there's multiple different places to configure subtitles and I've tried a few different combinations.. I made an opensubtitles account and tried it with "download even if not exact" on and off. I've tried it "skip if the video already contains embedded subtitles" on and off.. no matter what I did it continued showing the VOBSUB. In my profile settings it says always show english subtitles/burn in on auto. Luke above was saying it was remembering my previous selection and that's why it didn't work properly.. how do I get it to always use external subtitles?

Also, you mentioned it was a problem trying to play that item at some point. Do you know what would cause something like that? I've been playing with plex and emby for a few days now and it seems like emby handles audio better but plex does better with video.. I haven't had any issues with videos on plex.

Ok can you help me configure it? It looks like there's multiple different places to configure subtitles and I've tried a few different combinations.. I made an opensubtitles account and tried it with "download even if not exact" on and off. I've tried it "skip if the video already contains embedded subtitles" on and off.. no matter what I did it continued showing the VOBSUB. In my profile settings it says always show english subtitles/burn in on auto. Luke above was saying it was remembering my previous selection and that's why it didn't work properly.. how do I get it to always use external subtitles?

Have you used the "Edit Subtitles..." menu to do a manual search for subs for an item?  Or run the Subtitle Download task and let it go look?

Also, you mentioned it was a problem trying to play that item at some point. Do you know what would cause something like that? I've been playing with plex and emby for a few days now and it seems like emby handles audio better but plex does better with video.. I haven't had any issues with videos on plex.

It is impossible to know without seeing the exact time it happened but it could have been any kind of network disruption as one example.

Have you used the "Edit Subtitles..." menu to do a manual search for subs for an item?  Or run the Subtitle Download task and let it go look?

I haven't.. there's no way to automate the process to always show english subtitles but display them somehow without transcoding the whole video?

Yes there is, but it depends on the format of the subtitles. If you want to avoid transcoding as much as possible then plain text srt subtitles are the best choice.

Yes there is, but it depends on the format of the subtitles. If you want to avoid transcoding as much as possible then plain text srt subtitles are the best choice.

So what would be the proper configuration to always download and display text based? I tried changing all those settings that I mentioned previously in this thread but it didn't work. you told me it wasn't working because "emby remembered my previous settings"

What you did is fine, you may just have to manually select the new subtitles on previously played media. We should make the remembering of subtitle tracks optional in the future, or at least provide a way to clear it.

i just tried it and it said no subtitles found, maybe it's just an unpopular version?

What you did is fine, you may just have to manually select the new subtitles on previously played media. We should make the remembering of subtitle tracks optional in the future, or at least provide a way to clear it.

I just tried it again and I don't see an option to pick any text based subs. only different languages.. here's a screenshot and my settings.

5c01663062ad7_Untitled.png

5c01663c72d21_index.jpg

Edited by phrostb