Cannot play files with subtitles without transcoding

viswanth1038

viswanth1038

When I start playing a movie, it plays fine(Direct Play) but when i turn on subtitles it starts to transcode the file and video quality is lost. Is there no way of playing without transcoding?

Hi.  The app is falling back to transcoding due to an error trying to direct play.  It could be something non-standard in the subtitle format.

In any case, if you acquire external srt subs (Emby can do it for you) for these items I believe they will play fine.

erikblues

How can emby get them for me?

Follow these steps:

• Access your emby dashboard
  • Select "plugins" on the left menu
  • Open the plugin "catalog"
  • Search for the plugin "OpenSubtitles" (under "metadata" plugins) and install it
  • Restart Emby server

Afte you restarted, Access your emby dashboard again

• select "Library" on the left
  • [For each of your movie/series libraries, do this:]
  • Open the advanced menu (click the 3 dots ... )
  • Select "Manage Library"
  • Enable "show advanced settings"
  • At the bottom you will find "subtitle downloads"
  • Select the languages you wish to download and enable the settings you need
  • Save and close
  • Select "scheduled tasks" in the left menu
  • Activate "Download missing subtitles" task (click the "play" button right next to it)
  • Wait for subtitles to finish downloading
  • Done

PS: If you have lots of movies, it might take a few days untill they all have subtitles. This is to avoid the Emby server spamming the opensubtitles webpage and is normal. Just be patient and in 1-5 days it should be complete.

I hope this is clear enough for you to follow. I am new here at the forum so, if you have any questions (or corrections) please let me know.

Edited by erikblues

Gerrit507

I have a similar issue. When I start a movie in the Android TV app and turn on a subtitle it just doesn't appear. I also have pre-configured that it should always show the force subtitles and they do also not appear. The app always shows that the subs are activated.

5bfb24dcaa49f_subs.png

SUBRIP format should be fine. I had this issue with several movies and series in direct play...

Edited by Gerrit507

Gerrit507

Here is an example. I've turned on the eng forced subtitle. According to the log file there are no subs applied as far as I can see.

And there is another issue I just found: I wanted to skip forward to a position where I know a subtitle should appear but I'm unable to skip forward. When I skip forward it jumps back to the current position.

ffmpeg_sub_log.txt

Gerrit507

I've just tried some other files. When a remux is done by emby and subtitles are enabled it doesn't show any subtitles and the skipping is broken. In "true" direct plays or "true" transcodes subtitles work and skipping is working too. Skipping is working in remux but only with all subtitles disabled.

I hope this info helps you to narrow it down.

Edited by Gerrit507

viswanth1038

I removed all internal subtitles for some files and it works for external subtitles only. It doesn't work when there are internal subtitles.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Edited by viswanth1038

viswanth1038

Let me know if that works or if I forgot something :)

That works for getting external subtitles. Thank you Edited by viswanth1038
  • Like 1

Here is an example. I've turned on the eng forced subtitle. According to the log file there are no subs applied as far as I can see.

And there is another issue I just found: I wanted to skip forward to a position where I know a subtitle should appear but I'm unable to skip forward. When I skip forward it jumps back to the current position.

In this example we are having to convert the audio from TrueHD to plain DD because your system doesn't support the HD audio.  There is, however, a plain DD track already.  I believe if you selected that one, this issue would go away.

I'm pretty sure the reason you aren't seeing subs is because, when we have to remux an item with internal subs, the only way to display those internal subs would be to either burn them in or use a process to extract them to a file and then use that file.

If we burn them in, this causes a very heavy load on your server but will display the subs immediately.  If, instead, we extract them, they cannot be displayed until this extraction process is complete - which could take a few minutes.  Which of these we do is controlled by an option in the playback/transcoding settings in the server.

I believe your case was the latter and you just didn't wait long enough for the extraction to complete.

The use of external text subs negates all of these problems though.

Gerrit507

In this example we are having to convert the audio from TrueHD to plain DD because your system doesn't support the HD audio.  There is, however, a plain DD track already.  I believe if you selected that one, this issue would go away.

I'm pretty sure the reason you aren't seeing subs is because, when we have to remux an item with internal subs, the only way to display those internal subs would be to either burn them in or use a process to extract them to a file and then use that file.

If we burn them in, this causes a very heavy load on your server but will display the subs immediately.  If, instead, we extract them, they cannot be displayed until this extraction process is complete - which could take a few minutes.  Which of these we do is controlled by an option in the playback/transcoding settings in the server.

I believe your case was the latter and you just didn't wait long enough for the extraction to complete.

The use of external text subs negates all of these problems though.

1) You are right with the DD 5.1 stream it's working because it isn't remuxing anymore. The DD 5.1 stream on this movie is german but I usually watch in english and most of them are 7.1...

2) When I first encountered the issue the movie was already running for 30 min when something was spoken in spanish, there the forced subs should appear, and they do on kodi but not in the emby app. I very much doubt that the extraction process was not finished by then... I also don't get it why extracting a subrip subtitle from an mkv would take several minutes. I can do this with mkvtoolnix in a second...

Where can I see if there is a subtitle extraction ongoing?

Burn-in is no option because emby re-encodes everything in x264 then, that means no HDR for example.

Edited by Gerrit507

Why needs a text based subtitle to be extracted in the first place? I thought this is only for bitmap subtitles.

Well, if you are transcoding the item and want that subtitle to appear we have two options:

1) Burn it in in a transcode

2) Deliver it as a separate stream to the player

The only way we can do 2 is if we have it as a separate stream.

Gerrit507

Well, if you are transcoding the item and want that subtitle to appear we have two options:

1) Burn it in in a transcode

2) Deliver it as a separate stream to the player

The only way we can do 2 is if we have it as a separate stream.

Tanks for the explanation. That means a remux counts as transcode and those two options apply for remuxes too? Just for clarification...

Is there a way to extract subtitles from all my media in advance with a scheduled task?

Remux is not the same thing as a full transcode. Remux could just be a simple container swap. 

We do not have a way to extract in advance at this time. Thanks.

Gerrit507

I know what a remux is. To clarify my question: Does the need of either extracting the subtitle or burning it also apply for remuxes?

By the way, extracting a srt subtitle takes about 3 minutes on my server when I do it manually with ffmpeg. If after 30 min a subtitle doesn't appear in emby then something isn't working right there. Just saying...

Burning in subtitles only happens during a full video transcode, so this would not be a remux.

Sometimes we have the ability to extract the subtitles and avoid the full transcode, that is why we do that whenever possible. So yes, sometimes you could see a remux in combination with a subtitle extraction.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Tanks for the explanation. That means a remux counts as transcode and those two options apply for remuxes too? Just for clarification...

Is there a way to extract subtitles from all my media in advance with a scheduled task?

Improved subtitle performance is coming:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/66876-36080-improved-subtitle-delivery/