Cannot play ts files with VLC in Emby

dcol

Using the Emby android app, I cannot play any ts file from the library using VLC. MP4's and MKV's work fine.

If I play the TS file directly in VLC, it plays fine.

The same ts file will play fine with the internal player, MX Player, and mpv player.

The ts files were not recorded by Emby. Placed in the Emby library location by MCEBuddy.

What do you think causes this?

Here is a screenshot of the error.

5bf88d9c76840_emby1.jpg

Why does anyone use alternate players. The internal player has serious limitations with buffering and fast forwarding and rewinding. MX Player does not even work in some of my Android boxes. VLC is the only all around player with advanced features that is stable, except for this one situation.

If anyone wants to recommend another player, I am all ears.

I am including the Emby log which shows the error in question.

embyserver.txt

Edited by dcol

[update]

Just updated VLC to newest version 3.0.13. Worked the very first time I played the show, then same issue after that with the same error.

The main difference is that I did not see ffmpeg being invoked when it worked that first time.

And looking a little closer at that log, with my limited knowledge, it appears that Emby tried to transcode the file into VLC when it did not work. Why would the transcoder get involved? I do not use the Emby transcoder for anything.

I have attached the log when it worked for the first time.

embyserver2.txt

Edited by dcol

I assume if you try to open a ts file using VLC in the android app, you can see it happening. I can PM you a sample ts file if you need it.

here is the VLC log

No, the in-app log is different. Instructions are at the bottom of the link I posted. Thanks.

Sent the log to the developer. Time 1:35PM MST, user: DLC, Playback: Rachel Maddow

ebr - Internal player can only skip forward and only by 30s on each action. I need 10s skip forward and backward. Internal player cannot do that. Also Internal player has a tendency to be jumpy. I attribute that to buffering. VLC plays smoother. But, that is not a show stopper, but the skipping is. If I could adjust the internal player skip time and go backwards, I would probably use it exclusively.

Edited by dcol

There is nothing to indicate a problem in that app log.  We ask the system to play an URL and then it returns to us.

I just added your test file to my system and, while it is only a minute long, I have no trouble playing it in the internal player and skipping both forward and back.  You might want to try the beta version of the app as it does have increased seeking support for .ts.

The update has fixed the issue. Any way to change the skip time to 10s instead of the 30s?

Not at this time.  Sorry.