Optimal filetypes for browser support?

icsy7867

icsy7867

So I using an Asus TinkerBoard (Like a  raspberry pi, but with more ram and CPU power) and I have turned it into a mobile/portable hotspot without internet.  However my goal is to make a portable unit where a couple of people can connect to it's WiFi in the car and stream local movies and TV.

From my googling, these little guys really dont have enough power to transcode correctly.  However if it is not needing to transcode it should be able to handle this without issue.  But i realized I am not quite sure when transcoding is needed.

Would the ideal use be to simply use the "Convert" option in Emby?  Or if people would be on either android client, iOS client or Web is there an ideal media type?

Hi, web browsers have limited format support. Generally speaking the baseline that all browsers support is mp4 containers with h264 video and aac or mp3 audio.

Our convert feature can help create files with in this format.

Or Android and iOS apps can play quite a bit more, although usually if you're on a mobile connection you're going to be limited by bandwidth so it still may need to transcode to reduce the bitrate.

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

icsy7867

Is there any easy way to tell if a video will be transcoded other than load it up in whatever platform and see if emby starts transcoding?

These actually wont be on a mobile connection.  I am hoping I can power the Tinkerboard in a car, and people can connect to the wifi and stream it from the device or web browser.

I just setup handbrake in docker with an auto-convert folder I will probably see if I can use handbrake to automate this process, but i am just trying to figure out what the best format is to convert to.

Thanks for the quick response!

There currently is no way to tell for sure other than just testing it, but honestly browsers are so strict about what they support that you can usually tell just by eyeballing the media info at the top of the detail screen in the web app.

If you use our media conversion feature, just select the mobile profile.