Casting to Vizio Smartcast

Guest asrequested

Guest asrequested

There seems to be several problems with this. First, why is the server remuxing an mkv to mkv? (logs attached)

Input #0, matroska,webm, from 'file:\\Storage\f\4k Movies\Avengers, Infinity War (2018)\Avengers, Infinity War (2018).mkv':
Output #0, matroska, to 'G:\transcoding-temp\931191240b1acfc6dd5704b360f31bb2.mkv':
  Metadata:
    encoder         : Lavf58.12.100
    Stream #0:0: Video: hevc (Main 10), yuv420p10le(tv, bt2020nc/bt2020/smpte2084), 3840x2160 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], q=2-31, 23.98 fps, 23.98 tbr, 1k tbn, 1k tbc (default)
    Stream #0:1: Audio: ac3 ([0] [0][0] / 0x2000), 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), fltp, 640 kb/s
Stream mapping:
  Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (copy)
  Stream #0:3 -> #0:1 (copy)

Then when trying jump to different parts of the movie, the slider on the title page doesn't work at all. You have to go to player control page, and even then it hardly works. The app becomes unstable, the playback is jerky, resulting in freezing. On top of all this, if you do anything else in the app, the play bar at the bottom disappears and you have to tap on the cast icon again and recast, to bring it back up. The whole thing is really bad. I'm doing this on my Lenovo tablet. Android 7.1.1. I looked for app logs on the tablet, in the folder pointed out in How to Report... The folder was empty.

Furthermore you restricted user permissions to video transcoding. When you did this you were warned that this may cause playback failures, and yet now this has led you to believe there is an emby problem. We really should just not allow that to be turned off anymore.

Guest asrequested

Furthermore you restricted user permissions to video transcoding. When you did this you were warned that this may cause playback failures, and yet now this has led you to believe there is an emby problem. We really should just not allow that to be turned off anymore.

Well, you have to turn that off if you want to watch HDR through the Smartcast app, or the server will transcode everything. Remember we had discussed this in another thread?

Edited by Doofus

Right because chromecast on the tv isn't reporting hevc as supported. so that's why it can't direct play but then it also can't convert the video due to the user permission. if you turn off all of the user permissions so that it can't remux, then that will essentially force the direct play.

Guest asrequested

Well it does actually play HEVC videos, but I guess it's still as you said, the API isn't reporting that it does. So that's a different issue. As for the example I posted, it seems to have an issue with that video, all the others I just tested (with allow transcoding turned off), played just fine (remuxed, of course).

But the other issues I mentioned, are exclusively the app function. Primarily the playback controls disappearing, and having to tap on the cast icon and select your device, again. Then the controls come back. Once activated, they should remain in place until you disconnect.