Two servers, one database?

LordAthens

LordAthens

Hey all.

I'd like to keep two local servers, with the primary server being a Windows HTPC and the secondary server is a Qnap NAS (TS-851).  The main reason behind the setup is that I travel frequently and the Windows machine isn't the most stable thing ever, but the NAS isn't up to doing x265 or 4K transcoding.  Actually, it is really just terrible at transcoding anything, BUT if I have a fast enough connection wherever I'm working, I don't always need the transcoding, I can direct stream a good bit of my content.  The NAS at the very least is dead stable.

Right now I have the Windows machine doing all of the heavy lifting.  It's doing all of the scraping (NFO and artwork is being stored in the given media folder), chapter images, etc.  I have the NAS doing nothing, all scrapers are unchecked, no posters or backdrops, no subtitles. I have it set to not scan immediately on folder change.  Right now it seems to be getting most of info correct from the NFO and the stored backdrops, posters, etc.  But it's not getting any of the Collection information (which is being done on the HTPC via the plugin).  The NAS is missing some of the media because for whatever reason, the HTPC didn't store artwork for some of the media for some reason, I'll have to work on that later.

TL;DR, what's the best method of keeping two local servers working together?

Re:

The NAS is missing some of the media because for whatever reason, the HTPC didn't store artwork for some of the media for some reason, I'll have to work on that later.

This isn't exactly true. A loss of artwork will not affect media visibility. Can you discuss this in more detail? Thanks.

LordAthens

Hi, we don't have a way of sharing a single database. How have you created the collections?

Using the "Auto Box Sets" Plugin.

Re:

The NAS is missing some of the media because for whatever reason, the HTPC didn't store artwork for some of the media for some reason, I'll have to work on that later.

This isn't exactly true. A loss of artwork will not affect media visibility. Can you discuss this in more detail? Thanks.

Sorry, poor wording on my part.  The NAS library is seemingly all there, however the art for a given movie is not being shown, as it is not present in the media folder. For whatever reason, when the HTPC did it's initial scan, it did not store the media art in the folder.  I just issued a re-scan for missing metadata from the HTPC and it seems to be correcting itself.  I think that particular issue is solved.

Hopefully this will all be temporary as I'm collecting parts to do a dual Xeon E5-2470v2 system, which should hopefully transcode anything I throw at it.