EDL support?

legallink

legallink

I know this is probably not a huge demand, but I was curious if MediaBrowser would support EDLs anytime?

?

Edit Decision Lists?

European Democratic Lawyers?

Enhanced Driver's License...?

• Like 1

Deihmos

'Edit Lists' probably something to do with commercial skipping I think. I know Next PVR uses it for commercial skipping but I don't see how it would be possible if you are transcoding a stream and not directly playing it.

Edited by Deihmos

IcyBergals

Edit Decision Lists.  And yeah, I think the most common use would be for commercial skipping.  The program I use for cutting commercials has the option to output an EDL file with the timestamps of commercials to skip rather than actually cutting any of the video.

Here is a pretty short wiki entry but it lists a few different players that support EDL files, one of which is XMBC.  And here is the XMBC wiki page.

Maybe at some point.

The problem from our perspective is there are a lot of potential players involved so we could never support this globally.  Seems much more reliable to just edit the source (since you never want the commercial anyway).

legallink

I actually wasn't going to use it for commercials (although that is one issue) but to edit/skip more adult material/language in movies.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to Throw in my support for this. Edl is basic feature for dvr. I remember mythtv had this more than 10 years ago. If not serverside a good start would be to add it to MBT.

Edited by KRA

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...
HrHauptfeld

Better late than never. I'd also like support for .edl files. At least in the Emby web player.

I use them to skip annoying brand intros from movie companies, skipping intros from tv-shows (those that never change), and to mute crying babies :lol:

It's a lot of work creating those files from scratch but imho it's worth it!

maximumentropy

Edit Decision Lists.  And yeah, I think the most common use would be for commercial skipping.  The program I use for cutting commercials has the option to output an EDL file with the timestamps of commercials to skip rather than actually cutting any of the video.

Here is a pretty short wiki entry but it lists a few different players that support EDL files, one of which is XMBC.  And here is the XMBC wiki page.

Slightly OT, but I'm curious what program you are using for cutting commercials.  I'm looking for something to do simple video trimming that's easy to use and supports common video formats.  Thanks!