How to create playlists?

direx

Hi,

I am new to emby and I would like to use it for organizing my music library. I am only using the browser-UI right now. I have set up my music library and can play back songs - so far so good.

Now I was wondering how I can create playlists, such as "Classic Music", "Metal" or things like that, based on the tags in the music files. I must be stupid, but I cannot find a proper playlist management interface right now.

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

Hi, we don't have any smart playlist feature yet, but you can manually create playlists. Have you tried that?

Ahh, I see. No I haven't found the "dumb playlist" interface either, but actually that's not really what I need anyway.

If there is no support for smart playlists right now then emby is not what I was looking for (I use these kinds of playlists excessively). I thought I could use emby for actually managing/organizing a large music library, but apparently I got this wrong. Sorry for the noise and thanks for the quick reply.

Edited by direx

Well you can still create instant mixes off of artists, genres, albums and individual songs. These will start playback immediately with a selection based on what you created the instant mix on. And you can also shuffle based on a genre or parent folder.

Well you can still create instant mixes off of artists, genres, albums and individual songs. These will start playback immediately with a selection based on what you created the instant mix on. And you can also shuffle based on a genre or parent folder.

Ah, okay. This sounds useable. Please forgive me my stupidity, but I still cannot figure out how to play an instant mix from all genres containing "*Metal*" in their genre tag, so I can get an instant mix containing "Power Metal", "Symphonic Metal", "Nu Metal", and all of the other Metal genres I have in my collection. Where would I do that? I have already tried emby's search function, but that is not really any help as it does not search genres at all. The only thing I can do right now is clicking on one particular genre, but that's probably not what you have meant.

Thanks again (and sorry for the noob questions)!

Ah, okay. This sounds useable. Please forgive me my stupidity, but I still cannot figure out how to play an instant mix from all genres containing "*Metal*" in their genre tag, so I can get an instant mix containing "Power Metal", "Symphonic Metal", "Nu Metal", and all of the other Metal genres I have in my collection. Where would I do that? I have already tried emby's search function, but that is not really any help as it does not search genres at all. The only thing I can do right now is clicking on one particular genre, but that's probably not what you have meant.

Thanks again (and sorry for the noob questions)!

Hi.  You can instant mix a genre - not a part of a genre.  That kind of thing will come when we have smart playlists.

Thanks.

Hi.  You can instant mix a genre - not a part of a genre.  That kind of thing will come when we have smart playlists.

Thanks for your quick replies. So it was not me just being stupid :)

Also sorry again for my beginner questions. I was trying to replace my iTunes music library with something browser-based and I somehow found the emby website. So I just gave emby a shot and tried to see if it suits my needs. Just learning by doing, that's how I do things :)

But apparently you guys are focussing more on movie management and transcoding right now and the music part is in a very early state. I'll keep an eye on the project though as it looks like it has a lot of potential – maybe you'll add support for actual music management in the future.

Meanwhile I have stumbled across the feature requests sub-forum. There already was a rather old request for this feature. I could have looked there earlier, sorry for all the fuzz. I did not expect this to be a "special feature". By looking at that sub-forum it looks like some other features essential for proper music management are missing as well (such as [five-star] song ratings). So it looks like it's still a long way to go… And I guess I'll need to stick with stupid iTunes for now for music stuff. :( 

• Like 1