Dual (or more) movie versions, PLUS extras? & Collections!

LordAthens

LordAthens

Hey all.  New to Emby, a longtime Plex and Kodi convert.

So far, I REALLY like Emby.  For the most part, it has really taken care of all of the shortcomings I had with Plex.  Granted, I only have a few days in to it, but I don't think there is anything that Plex did that I'm finding lacking on Emby.  ESPECIALLY when it comes to streaming 10bit x264 4k content.  Plex just won't do it.

Right now my biggest hangup is having multiple versions of movies PLUS having the extras.  For any of my recent 4k rips that I've done, I also have a lower bitrate 1080p version. I travel a lot, I'm only home half of the month and my server isn't really up to transcoding 4k in realtime.  Plus of course extended versions, directors cuts, etc.

The issue is if I have mutliple movie versions, plus extras (in their own folder), I end up with a posters for each version of the movie plus all of the extras. IE;

\The Greatest Showman\The Greatest Showman (2017) - 2160p x265 DTS-MA.mkv
                     \The Greatest Showman (2017) - 1080p x265 AAC.mkv

\The Greatest Showman\Behind The Scenes\BTS-1.mkv
                                       \BTS-2.mkv
                                       \BTS-3.mkv 

If I follow that naming structure, I end up with 5 of the same posters in the library which is definitely not desirable.

If I break it down into;

\The Greatest Showman (4k)\The Greatest Showman (2017) - 2160p x265 DTS-MA.mkv
\The Greatest Showman (4k)\Behind The Scenes\BTS-1.mkv
                                            \BTS-2.mkv
                                            \BTS-3.mkv 

\The Greatest Showman (1080p)\The Greatest Showman (2017) - 1080p x265 AAC.mkv

I get two posters.  One with the 4k content and the "Special Features" content "in" the poster as expected, the second poster has only the 1080p content.

Ideally I want to get the best of both worlds and have everything in one poster, with the drop-down menu for what version I want AND the special features below. 

The other issue I'm having is that even though I have "Group movies into collections" checked (Library > Display), none of my collections (anything Marvel, Harry Potter, Oceans 1x, etc) are actually going in to collections.  IE, I have 8 Harry Potter posters.

Thoughts?

chowbok

I think when you have multiple versions of a movie, the file name needs to match the directory name. So in your case, you'd want to change the directory name from "The Greatest Showman" to "The Greatest Showman (2017)".

• Like 1

Happy2Play

Yes, just add the year to the folder name.

Edited by Happy2Play

RobWayBro

"Group movies into collections

When displaying movie lists, movies belonging to a collection will be displayed as one grouped item."

What this does is take your existing collections and show them in the listing with all the movies instead of displaying the individual movies. 

This setting does not create collections.

To automatically create collections, install the Auto Box Sets plugin.  This will group all those that have the same TheMovieDb Collection Id: in their metadata.

You can also manually create collections.
  • Like 1

Happy2Play

The other issue I'm having is that even though I have "Group movies into collections" checked (Library > Display), none of my collections (anything Marvel, Harry Potter, Oceans 1x, etc) are actually going in to collections.  IE, I have 8 Harry Potter posters.

Thoughts?

Emby groups items into collections using the TMDBCollectionID.  Emby presents all movies in a flat structure in the UI, only folder view will present nested folder structure.  So are you referring to your Collection in a nested folder structure?

As for something like a Marvel Collection you will have to manually create this collection via the UI, do to the items belonging to there own collections.

Edited by Happy2Play

LordAthens

Thanks all.  That was an easy fix for the multiple versions and extras bit, at least for that one title.  I have a LOT of renaming to do.  Maybe half of my folders have the year appended, I didn't start that practice until a few years ago.  Unfortunately, I have always done "Movie Title - (year) various file info.mkv".  I'm actually not sure why I put the year in front of the hyphen in my original post, as I don't ever name my files that way.  Plex and Kodi have never much seemed to care what side of the hyphen the year was on.  Oh well, at least that works!  

LordAthens

"Group movies into collections

When displaying movie lists, movies belonging to a collection will be displayed as one grouped item."

What this does is take your existing collections and show them in the listing with all the movies instead of displaying the individual movies. 

This setting does not create collections.

To automatically create collections, install the Auto Box Sets plugin.  This will group all those that have the same TheMovieDb Collection Id: in their metadata.

You can also manually create collections.

Emby groups items into collections using the TMDBCollectionID.  Emby presents all movies in a flat structure in the UI, only folder view will present nested folder structure.  So are you referring to your Collection in a nested folder structure?

As for something like a Marvel Collection you will have to manually create this collection via the UI, do to the items belonging to there own collections.

Ahhh.  I was not aware Emby would not create the collections (or "box sets") automatically.  Seems a bit odd?  Plex has been doing that for quite a long time now.

Thanks for the clarification. 

RobWayBro

It is possible to nest collections also (thanks guys :D ) so I created a manual Marvel Collection and added all the other Auto created collections (Iron Man, Thor, etc) to it as well the individual movies (Dr. Strange, Hulk).  I did this with DC and a couple others also.

LordAthens

When it comes to part x's and y's of a movie, something like Avengers - Infinity War, what is the proper naming for that?  Currently I have "Avengers - Infinity War - (2018) media info here.mkv" and the folder is "Avengers - Infinity War.