Subtitles never download

Wheemer

Wheemer

I have subtitles setup correctly, and they used to download almost all automatically. However lately it doesn't download any at all.

When I search the file names directly on opensubtitles.org it finds them right away.

I already disabled only download exact matching subs.

Do subtitles work reliably for anyone?

Check to make sure your login credentials are still in Emby. 

I asked a year or so ago to have a confirmation that they are correct when hitting save but it still isn't confirmed.

I get a lot of failed downloads but also have them too so I'm not sure what is going on.

@@ebr @@Luke

Can we get a confirmation that the login creds to OpenSubtitles is correct at least so we can rule that out as an issue?

Thanks!

Wheemer

My credentials are correct.

I am seeing: "OpenSubtitleDownloader: Episode information missing" in the logs. And there is no error for thesubdb, just doesn't work either.

I see lots of episodes without subs, yet when I run the get missing subs task some of the episode clearly without subs are not even checked according to the log file.

Wheemer

I'm not certain I understand how to check that? They all appear and function properly from within Kodi Embycon, and within the emby web interface.

Try using the metadata editor in Emby on one of the episodes. Then in that editor, see if it has a season and episode number listed.

Wheemer

Yes they are listed there properly, this seems to happen on many different episodes. Also Thesubdb doesn't show an error yet no sub.

What about forcing a subtitle search that includes all files, since there's many that it seems to skip that I can't see mentioned in the logs after a scan from tasks.

Edited by Wheemer

Wheemer

That explains some of the ones that show up in the log. But Wentworth (2013) - S06E12 - Showdown seems to be there but is not downloaded. I also have other shows like Outlander.S04E01 that have result but seem to be skipped.

Q-Droid

Just to add my $0.02...may or may not be related...

The OpenSubtitles API (theirs, not Emby) is a bit flaky. In my experience the automatic downloads are hit-or-miss, around 30% success rate. I can often do a manual subtitle update/search for a movie or episode, hit the search button within the same window more than once and it will alternate between results and no results.

I also disabled the scheduled task to "Download Missing Subtitles" because it was throwing "too many requests" errors from OpenSubtitles and I have a paid subscription with them.

Edited by Q-Droid

Wheemer

I have been experimenting with a program called subdownloader2. When I scan my media folders it find tons of english srt files for videos that emby can't.

5bfaf2f7c855f_Screenshot11_25_20183_37_0

Wheemer

Perhaps it is the problem with the API as you suggest. I have a user who is hearing impaired so this is a big problem for them. I have not been able to get them to watch anything through Kodi because the subs are missing or wrong so often.

I keep trying to revisit the issue, but seems the problems remain.

I really wish the releases where put out with the srt already included (dreaming)...

Wheemer

I was experimenting with another software called VideoProc. It seems to be able to see the embedded subtitles within the video file itself.

Is there not a way to add that feature to Emby? Instead relying on external sites to get an accurate srt, couldn't emby somehow extract it?

We already support embedded subtitles, but extraction can take a long time. External text subtitles is recommended.