Blank screen when opening Emby

jhatfield

jhatfield

This is the only issue keeping me from purchasing Emby. This happens several times a week on all 3 of my Shield TV emby apps. When I try to access Emby and all I get is blank screen. I have to force close the get it to refresh. Does anyone have this issue? I have tried changing all the settings including logging off and nothing works. It seems to be a random glitch.

mastrmind11

This is the only issue keeping me from purchasing Emby. This happens several times a week on all 3 of my Shield TV emby apps. When I try to access Emby and all I get is blank screen. I have to force close the get it to refresh. Does anyone have this issue? I have tried changing all the settings including logging off and nothing works. It seems to be a random glitch.

I have multiple shields and have not experienced this.  What is the process to reproduce?

That is an indication that the app has crashed.  This is very rare on the Shield though.

Can you tell me exactly how you typically shut down the app each day?

jhatfield

Usually it's just by selecting the home button. I do use the harmony remote for navigation. I haven't been able to reproduce the issue. It just happens at random times. Is it possible it could be server related? 

• 7 months later...
jhatfield

Hello, I am still having this issue. I switched to the Fire TV and I am still randomly getting a blank screen when I select the Emby app. I have to restart the Fire TV to get it to work. The Server never sleeps.

bigbruin

Hello, I am still having this issue. I switched to the Fire TV and I am still randomly getting a blank screen when I select the Emby app. I have to restart the Fire TV to get it to work. The Server never sleeps.

I have been having the same recently...  Occasional blank screens which require a restart of the FireTV.  Checking the server from my phone during this event shows it is functioning fine and nothing has to be done on that side.

In the app settings, how have you configured remembering login as well as auto-logging in/out ?

I am set to login automatically

Hi, as a test, if you turn that off, does the black screen still happen? 

If the app is coming up in a black screen the issue is almost certainly that it crashed at some time in the past.

You should not need to restart your device to clear this.  You just need to force-close the Emby app.

The question is, what is causing the crash...  That becomes really hard to determine in these cases because  we don't know when the crash is happening but we will try to investigate.

Thanks.

GHynson

I have this issue randomly happening with ALL my FireTV Sticks.

I used to just unplug and replug the Fire Stick.

But then out of frustration,..I found that if you press the 3 line button (the three horizontal line button) multiple times and or randomly pressing the directional pad,

Then hitting the home button and relaunching the emby app, it correctly loads emby after.

I don't know what's going on internally with the emby app, but I can recover from this blank screen every time now with random button presses on the remote, without resetting the Fire Stick.

I have this issue randomly happening with ALL my FireTV Sticks.

I used to just unplug and replug the Fire Stick.

But then out of frustration,..I found that if you press the 3 line button (the three horizontal line button) multiple times and or randomly pressing the directional pad,

Then hitting the home button and relaunching the emby app, it correctly loads emby after.

I don't know what's going on internally with the emby app, but I can recover from this blank screen every time now with random button presses on the remote, without resetting the Fire Stick.

Hi there, thanks for reporting. Do you have the app configured to login automatically?

GHynson

Hi there, thanks for reporting. Do you have the app configured to login automatically?

No, I do not.

I have the user login screen come up awaiting for a user to be chosen.

Yeah, it isn't crashing on startup it has already crashed at some point in the past when you try to bring it up.

We had solved these issues in the past by making sure we always shut down before the device goes to sleep but maybe something has changed in recent Fire updates or something.  I've never been able to reproduce this situation but I know it used to happen to some folks.  This is the first report of it we've had in a while.

What is the version of Android on your stick?

chef

Hey guys I experience a black screen as well in my fire stick.

Restarting the fire stick will allow emby to restart okay.

I auto login to my account, and I quit the app by pressing the "home" button on the remote.

But when trying to access the app it returns to a black screen.

Maybe the connection to that session in server won't let go?

My active devices will say the fire stick is connected, but it shouldn't be after I press the home button and quit the app.

I am thinking about using the Ethernet single with the firestick uncase this has something to do with my wifi connection to the server?

I quit the app by pressing the "home" button on the remote.

But when trying to access the app it returns to a black screen.

You can reproduce this immediately or only after waiting for some amount of time between those two events?

My active devices will say the fire stick is connected, but it shouldn't be after I press the home button and quit the app.

Pressing "Home" does not quit the app. It behaves just like your phone.  The app is still running in the background.

• Like 1

arche

I've had this similar experience, but with my older firestick. I switched to a 4k firestick and haven't had the issue since. Not sure if it matters.