Newbie Help - Picture break-up on Samsung Tv

Prydwyn

Hi all

Started using Emby 2 days ago - finding it much better than Plex. However, I'm having a couple of issues that I am hoping that someone can help me resolve.

TV model Samsung 49MU6500, running the latest firmware 1250.5

I'm running Emby 3.5.3.0, and whatever version of the app that was available for the Samsung TV as of 15/11/2018

I am occaisionally getting picture pixellation and break up, with colour artefacts when playing a HEVC movie through Emby Samsung TV app.. However, if I play the same movie again from the Emby DLNA server, or Serviio (which I have been using for the last few years), it plays perfectly with no problems.

I tried to upload a couple of video clips to illustrate, but it wouldn't let me (said I wasn't permitted to upload this kind of file).

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Hi all

Started using Emby 2 days ago - finding it much better than Plex. However, I'm having a couple of issues that I am hoping that someone can help me resolve.

TV model Samsung 49MU6500, running the latest firmware 1250.5

I'm running Emby 3.5.3.0, and whatever version of the app that was available for the Samsung TV as of 15/11/2018

I am occaisionally getting picture pixellation and break up, with colour artefacts when playing a HEVC movie through Emby Samsung TV app.. However, if I play the same movie again from the Emby DLNA server, or Serviio (which I have been using for the last few years), it plays perfectly with no problems.

I tried to upload a couple of video clips to illustrate, but it wouldn't let me (said I wasn't permitted to upload this kind of file).

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

if im not mistaken emby using its own player using the app. if you are using dlna i think its the tv supplying the player. test to install vlc and then tell emby app to use a external player. then use vlc. it can also be that emby transcode one of the streams (start the movie and at the same time look at the dashboard on emby server to se if the movie is transcoded. (do this both with dlna and the app to see if The one working is transcoded)

//Regards

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Is it a large file (high bitrate) with a lot of embedded subs?  I have seen this occasionally cause issues both in the app and DLNA.  Since you mention DLNA is fine, it may be a different issue.

Thanks for the responses.

I have attached the log file - hope it helps.

According to the Media Info the bitrate is 34654kbps. My home network is a 1Gb network, with everything using Cat7 ethernet cables (apart from wireless-only devices such as my phone and tablet).

I can't find the VLC player in the Samsung Smarthub App store, so I don't think it is available (at least in the UK)

Thanks again for responding. 

FrostByte

Thanks for the responses.

I have attached the log file - hope it helps.

According to the Media Info the bitrate is 34654kbps. My home network is a 1Gb network, with everything using Cat7 ethernet cables (apart from wireless-only devices such as my phone and tablet).

I can't find the VLC player in the Samsung Smarthub App store, so I don't think it is available (at least in the UK)

Thanks again for responding. 

I don't think either of your two log files (server and ffmpeg) posted correctly.

Can you also paste the mediainfo for that movie?  You can find that at the very bottom of the details screen for the movie using the web client

Edited by FrostByte

Ok, Think I've managed to attach it this time.

I've also attached the Media Info: (no subtitles - I usually use MKVToolnix to strip them out, unless they are forced/foreign - got to try and save every bit of HD space).

I tried playing the movie with both audio tracks, and the problem was the same. As I said in my original post, using DLNA (both Serviio and Emby DLNA) there was not any problem.

Log.txt

Media Info.txt

Edited by Prydwyn

Which audio track are you selecting?  The first/default track is TrueHD which will cause audio conversion and that might be causing the issues.  Does it play fine if you select the second audio track?  It should then DirectPlay.

FrostByte

What time did you try to play? Was there an ffmpeg log? can you attach that too?

Which audio track are you selecting?  The first/default track is TrueHD which will cause audio conversion and that might be causing the issues.  Does it play fine if you select the second audio track?  It should then DirectPlay.

Please see post #7

Edit: Sorry, the primary issue in post #7 is your transcoding just not going fast enough. It looks like it tried to direct play, then automatically switched to transcoding after the samsung video player reported an error.

• Like 1

Ok..., 

Thanks Luke, SamES and FrostByte - really appreciate the quick responses. Following what you have said, the problem is (sort of) resolved.

However: Luke, the ffmpeg log was the first one I posted before the server and media info files - but am attatching it here anyway. I tried it a few times - check the time stamps from about 22:50 - 23:00. 

SamES - originally I tried both the TrueHD7.1 and the Dolby 5.1 and had the same issue with both (but when I used the DLNA server, no problems with either).

Luke - I turned off Hardware Acceleration just now, and it played fine with 5.1, but I still had the problem with TrueHD (but again, the DLNA server played both options without any problems),

As I said in post 7 I use MKVToolNix to strip out subtitles. If TrueHD is going to be a problem for UHD HEVC265 files, I can go through them with MKVToolNix and strip them out, just leaving a Dolby, DTS or AC3 file. Seems a shame, as the TV does support TrueHD, but not too much of a problem (and it would make the files that much smaller  :D - HD space is at a premium!)

I've been using DLNA (Serviio) for over 6 years, and the appeal of Emby is to give me a Netflix type interface for my media collection.

So, with Hardware acceleration off (I turned it on as I thought it would be better), TrueHD gives me the picture break up and colour artefacts, but Dolby 5.1 is fine. With it turned on, I had the problems with both soundtracks.

Purely from curiosity, (with a few decades of computer and IT knowledge behind me), can someone tell me why the problem occurs only through the app, but not when using the TV's native DLNA capabilities? Is there a way of overlaying the (rather brilliant) Emby UI over the DLNA? (I guess that is a rhetorical question, as if it could be done, I suppose it would have!)

Anyway, thanks again for your help - impressed with the support! Any other tips or suggestions still welcome - I'm 3 days in and loving it so far!

FrostByte

As I said in post 7 I use MKVToolNix to strip out subtitles. If TrueHD is going to be a problem for UHD HEVC265 files, I can go through them with MKVToolNix and strip them out, just leaving a Dolby, DTS or AC3 file. Seems a shame, as the TV does support TrueHD, but not too much of a problem (and it would make the files that much smaller  :D - HD space is at a premium!)

I was just looking at the MU6500 user manual and I don't see anything saying it supports True-HD HEVC mkv (it does support DTS-HD though) so the app would convert the audio only and direct stream.  

5bf22be4c63c7_mu6500.jpg

• Like 1

Purely from curiosity, (with a few decades of computer and IT knowledge behind me), can someone tell me why the problem occurs only through the app, but not when using the TV's native DLNA capabilities? Is there a way of overlaying the (rather brilliant) Emby UI over the DLNA? (I guess that is a rhetorical question, as if it could be done, I suppose it would have!)

So I'm fairly sure that TrueHD is not supported on this model.  How have you been able to confirm that TrueHD is actually playing via DLNA/serviio?  

Are you sure Serviio is not automatically converting TrueHD to a supported format?

Fair point - I have been assuming that the TV does support TrueHD as it plays files via DLNA without any problems, and the Samsing in-built DLNA client always plays the first audio track and subtitle track by default (a little annoying when you have to keep going to the setting on the TV player to turn off the unwanted subs), and with Serviio I have all transcoding switched off.

Does the Emby DLNA server take its transcoding settings from the main Emby server? Because the file also plays fine with the Emby DLNA server, and I don't recall any transcoding settings on the DLNA options page.

When I get home from work this evening I'll see if Serviio is generating any logs I can look at. Does Emby generate a DLNA log file?

Yes, Emby DLNA will take transcoding settings from the server.  Check for a transcoding or remux log on the server after DLNA playback.

On the server settings page, select DLNA from the menu on the left side, then select profiles from the menu at the top of the page.  In there you can see the Samsung SmartTV profile.

FrostByte

Does it say Transcoding or does it say Direct Streaming in stats for nerds?  Because if it's only converting the audio from TrueHD to AC3 the app shouldn't need to transcode the video and with direct streaming it shouldn't really be all that taxing on your CPU after streaming starts.