Hardware questions..

denywinarto

denywinarto

1. Would i see significant difference if i swap my kingston ssd to samsung 970 nvme?

Currently the page takes some time to load, not that long but it'd be nice if it was much faster.

2. Clock or cores? I'm currently using secondhand 12 core xeon i found on ebay, it only has 2.1 Ghz clock though.

Would an i7 / i9 with higher clock performs better for transcoding?

legallink

Ssd va nvme won’t make an appreciable difference.

Clocks vs cores depends on how many transcodes you need to support at any given time.

Guest asrequested

Xeons aren't designed for processes like transcoding, so the question is always the same. What demand are you intending to apply?

Edited by Doofus

denywinarto

Ssd va nvme won’t make an appreciable difference.

Clocks vs cores depends on how many transcodes you need to support at any given time.

Xeons aren't designed for processes like transcoding, so the question is always the same. What demand are you intending to apply?

what if it's 10+ users? my socket is x99

Guest asrequested

Uuuummm....I was asking what kind a video you'll be transcoding. 1080, 4k....? No transcoding is always the goal, but with 10+ users, I imagine you'll be transcoding, often?

denywinarto

Hmm its mixed, most of my library is 1080p web dl, usually the highest quality is bluray 720p dts. And it gets streamed more often so i guess its bluray 720p dts

Guest asrequested

So nothing big. If you were planning on transcoding 4k, you'd be in trouble. If you haven't experienced any problems so far, just stick with what you have. I built mine for future big demands.

denywinarto

So nothing big. If you were planning on transcoding 4k, you'd be in trouble. If you haven't experienced any problems so far, just stick with what you have. I built mine for future big demands.

Im currently still using it for myself, 

just wondering if the cpu is good enough if i wanted to expand to 10+ users 

denywinarto

which specs in xeon makes it not ideal for transcoding? this is the first time i heard it

You just have to figure out how much transcoding you want to prepare for. I have a threadripper and it will handle that many.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/56343-10-simultaneous-full-transcodes/

Hmm i will have to change the entire build for TR, but yeah it's cheaper compared to intel build with the same value

Guest asrequested

It's not the specs of the Xeon, it's architecture. Xeons are primarily designed for lots of individual processing, not one big process. They can do it, but not efficiently. CPUs like Threadripper were largely designed for game rendering. Mine can transcode 4k with ease, your Xeon would be consumed. It's why I chose it for the Emby server. But if you aren't having problems, just stick with it. And keep an eye on future use.

denywinarto

It's not the specs of the Xeon, it's architecture. Xeons are primarily designed for lots of individual processing, not one big process. They can do it, but not efficiently. CPUs like Threadripper were largely designed for game rendering. Mine can transcode 4k with ease, your Xeon would be consumed. It's why I chose it for the Emby server. But if you aren't having problems, just stick with it. And keep an eye on future use.

Which TR are you using now?

I read your other thread you said you were having nightmares with Threadripper, so is it still recommended compared to intel build?

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/51347-server-gpu-acceleration-or-cpu-processing/page-6

Guest asrequested

The issue was with using an early version of Windows 10. I'm using that same TR, with no problems at all. But gen 2 has been released, since then.

• Like 1