I seem to have broken music genres

VaporTrail
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

VaporTrail

In Emby 3.5.3.0, I've imported a music library, then noticed my genre tags with slashes "Rap/Hip-Hop", "Reggae/Soul" were split automatically into separate tags. When reviewing the albums in the newly separated "Reggae" & "Soul" tags, they understandably had identical items in them.

I updated the Genre field in Mp3tag to remove the slash for these albums, but after library scans including replacing nfo's, I can't see my new genre tags appear in Emby. Indeed, I tried to alter the genre tag at album level in Emby, and the albums disappeared from genre view altogether. When I click on the new genre in Emby, I get a spinning wheel of death until I back out of the operation.

Is it possible I've corrupted the database and it needs to be wiped? Can genres not be updated once created in 3.5.3.0?

Happy2Play

My guess would be a scan is actually not complete.  I doubt you did any damage.  If I make any tag updates on a album, I do a Refresh all on that album.

• Like 1

VaporTrail

Do you mean updating the embedded metadata at album or track level within Emby browser view? All three - Artist, Album, and Track metadata reflect the new genre tag I've created for audio files in Mp3tag.

As far as I can guess, there's something not updating within the database, and I can't find the database file to review/edit with Notepad++.

VaporTrail

My guess would be a scan is actually not complete.  I doubt you did any damage.  If I make any tag updates on a album, I do a Refresh all on that album.

My knowledge of doing a "Refresh all" for an album is: Refresh metadata > Refresh mode > Scan for new and updated files; Search for missing metadata; Replace all metadata

Tried those three options for an album, including replace all metadata for entire music library which took an hour to complete - none of which shows my new genre tag in "Genre" tab.

As an aside, roughly 6 hours after import, my "Album Artists" view is starting to populate artist images automatically. I've the Last.fm plugin installed, and perhaps it was an API limitation which requires this population to occur over time. 

• Solution

In 3.5 you will need to run a library scan after editing genres. This has been improved in 3.6 so that it's no longer necessary.

• Like 1

VaporTrail

In 3.5 you will need to run a library scan after editing genres. This has been improved in 3.6 so that it's no longer necessary.

Appreciate the help, though the three Library Scan options doesn't solve this for me. Dunno why. I'll wait till 3.6 before attempting again. Thanks!

VaporTrail

@@Luke, just FYI the genre updates magically appeared a minute ago. Same thing as Album Artist scraping - took around 6-8 hours to appear. Perhaps if others have similar music issues, they should wait a day to see what sorts itself out.  :)

VaporTrail

As a final update for anyone who might make the same mistake, I edited the nfo file directly, instead of managing album metadata within the Emby GUI. The server didn't know what to make of this mismatched information, so must have corrected itself automatically after several hours.