Authentication Questions

pusta
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Recent Plex convert here, with a question on accounts and authentication on Emby.  On the Plex side of the house, today I use Plex Home with 4 accounts, Myself, My Wife and two kids.  The kids are managed accounts with restrictions on content, and the other two are protected via PIN so the kids can't get into them.  I'm looking to mimic the same experience on Emby.  Right now I have an account for me, connected to Emby Connect.  I enabled a password and PIN number in the my account settings, but I don't see where those are actually used.  No matter what app I log into, it asks for my password, on my home network and outside of it. 

Am I missing something on how to mimic this experience?  If the answer is Emby does it differently, then I can live with that, just trying to understand better. 

mastrmind11

You can set a pin for the user from within the emby client.  Just go into settings and it should be right there.

Hi.  The PIN is an alternate valid password when on your local network.  It is intended to make it easier to log in with a TV remote control.

So, if you are on your local network, you can just inter the Easy PIN instead of your complex password and it should validate.

Finally, if you leave the PIN blank, then you won't need a password at all when on your local network. This may be how you want to setup your kid's accounts (but not yours) so that they don't have to enter the PW when at home.

Hi.  The PIN is an alternate valid password when on your local network.  It is intended to make it easier to log in with a TV remote control.

So, if you are on your local network, you can just inter the Easy PIN instead of your complex password and it should validate.

Finally, if you leave the PIN blank, then you won't need a password at all when on your local network. This may be how you want to setup your kid's accounts (but not yours) so that they don't have to enter the PW when at home.

That's part of the problem I'm facing.  I have a PIN enabled in my user account, I have the box checked to use it in network, but every client I try makes me enter my password (xbox, shield TV, Windows Apps).  Am I missing a setting somewhere?

• Solution

What do you mean by "makes me enter my password"?

The app will still prompt for a password.  You can just enter the PIN instead of the other password.

That assumes you are actually on your local network (same as the server) and your network configuration isn't such that it would fool that detection.

• Like 1

What do you mean by "makes me enter my password"?

The app will still prompt for a password.  You can just enter the PIN instead of the other password.

That assumes you are actually on your local network (same as the server) and your network configuration isn't such that it would fool that detection.

Frankly, the issue here is I'm in idiot.  I never tried entering the PIN in the password field, just the password itself.  I expected more of a PIN type field to appear.  I just tried the PIN and it worked, thanks for all the help!