Server as service is killing my cpu

d1gger

d1gger

amd 8350

16gb 1600

Before I begin let me make it perfectly clear that i know this cpu runs hot... nevertheless

running mb3 as a service vs not running at all

temp goes from around 44 idle up to 52 with (yes) stock fan @90%... albeit this is my own custom settings, if I shutdown the service, disable, reboot, (not really needed) all is well.

No, my cpu isnt pegged at %100 but the service is using a constant 25%+.

This is after days of completing only my music index and no that folder is not being watched. No other media or folder is in any library/UserConfig.

This hasnt been a temporary thing. I first wanted to blame the heat and fan stress on a case fan setup airflow change. It wasnt until after a few days of rebooting the pc, logging in and then leaving for the day all but to come back to hearing a helicopter in my office wanting clearance for takeoff. Of course during this time, I had no other loaded applications/services running that I wasnt aware of.

So I disable and stop service and ever since, without making any other changes at all, the utilization stress has ceased  

And finally, no accounts were ever logged into this server locally or remotely

FrostByte

Did you by chance take your readings shortly after a reboot?  Might have yours been doing a scan at the time, because mine uses none of the cpu when it isn't doing anything.  I also run MB as a service, but as I started typing this mine was showing it is using 0% of the cpu and 346.7 mb of memory.  Just to test things out I then started a scan of the library and it shot up to as high as ~ 25 - 30% cpu usage.  As soon as the scan was done it went back down to 0% cpu usage.

Scans as well as other processes are run periodically.

At the time you see these readings, are any tasks shown as running on the Scheduled Tasks page?

Heckler

I've got the FX6300 and I've noticed that it runs on the warm side... Firstly... get rid of the stock cooler and replace it with something decent. The stock cooler is barely efficient as it is and the fan is noisy as hell.

At the moment I am running the heatpipe cooler from the Phenom II 955 BE I have in my gaming rig at the moment, as that's running a massive Titan Fenrir cooler, but next week I shall be assembling the media server in a new HTPC case with a Be Quiet Shadow Rock 2 cooler... Which is very quite, and rated to 180w whilst the 6300 is a 95w.

With the Phenom II cooler on and a quieter fan it idles at 1800-2100rpm and only under really heavy loads does it get up to around 2900rpm.

If you have any monitoring software, be aware that the FX chips give dodgy readings... I'd advise you to use the AMD overdrive software, which with the latest update gives a thermal margin rather than an actual temp... The software readings I was getting indicated that it was hitting 74ºC when being stress tested, but the AMD software said I was still 12ºC below the limits.

Currently using the overdrive software, I am running my CPU at 1.15v, I've turned of the turbo function because I don't need it and some of these CPU's are running hotter because they're getting higher voltages than they need.  I've yet to test it any lower than 1.15, but I have seen people reporting them running fine at 1.12v.

The overdrive software has some decent stress testing built in too, and you can set it to run the profile you want at start up. Now under heavy loads my temps have dropped about 4-5ºC using the lower voltage, and when the new cooler is installed I'm expecting much lower idle temps (40ºC currently)

Of course the usual stuff applies, make sure the cooler is seated properly, that thermal compound has been applied correctly and that there is sufficient airflow in the case.

But most of all... ditch the POS stock cooler for a decent one... I've done a lot of reading this past week on coolers if you need some suggestions, depends how much room you've got in the case... The Phenom II cooler is virtually silent unless at full speed, and the new cooler is rated to less than 30dba at full speed... and that's even quieter,

Also, 25% utilization is hardly "killing" your CPU.  If it is running hot at that amount of usage, you definitely need better cooling.

But, the server should not be constantly using that unless it is in the process of doing something so please confirm what is actually going on when this happens.  Thx.

d1gger

I've got the FX6300 and I've noticed that it runs on the warm side... Firstly... get rid of the stock cooler and replace it with something decent. The stock cooler is barely efficient as it is and the fan is noisy as hell.

At the moment I am running the heatpipe cooler from the Phenom II 955 BE I have in my gaming rig at the moment, as that's running a massive Titan Fenrir cooler, but next week I shall be assembling the media server in a new HTPC case with a Be Quiet Shadow Rock 2 cooler... Which is very quite, and rated to 180w whilst the 6300 is a 95w.

With the Phenom II cooler on and a quieter fan it idles at 1800-2100rpm and only under really heavy loads does it get up to around 2900rpm.

If you have any monitoring software, be aware that the FX chips give dodgy readings... I'd advise you to use the AMD overdrive software, which with the latest update gives a thermal margin rather than an actual temp... The software readings I was getting indicated that it was hitting 74ºC when being stress tested, but the AMD software said I was still 12ºC below the limits.

Currently using the overdrive software, I am running my CPU at 1.15v, I've turned of the turbo function because I don't need it and some of these CPU's are running hotter because they're getting higher voltages than they need.  I've yet to test it any lower than 1.15, but I have seen people reporting them running fine at 1.12v.

The overdrive software has some decent stress testing built in too, and you can set it to run the profile you want at start up. Now under heavy loads my temps have dropped about 4-5ºC using the lower voltage, and when the new cooler is installed I'm expecting much lower idle temps (40ºC currently)

Of course the usual stuff applies, make sure the cooler is seated properly, that thermal compound has been applied correctly and that there is sufficient airflow in the case.

But most of all... ditch the POS stock cooler for a decent one... I've done a lot of reading this past week on coolers if you need some suggestions, depends how much room you've got in the case... The Phenom II cooler is virtually silent unless at full speed, and the new cooler is rated to less than 30dba at full speed... and that's even quieter,

I'm already there with ya. And yea, this is why i prefaced my post with "known things" on the 8350 and what/how i have it setup/running. I've stressed out this rig plenty, who wouldnt when they got a new toy :)

On that topic, another nice benchmark i ran across is Heaven. Not half bad. 

Also, 25% utilization is hardly "killing" your CPU.  If it is running hot at that amount of usage, you definitely need better cooling.

But, the server should not be constantly using that unless it is in the process of doing something so please confirm what is actually going on when this happens.  Thx.

If this was only a 25% utilization on my 4200 64 x2, then sure ok. But for now when it shouldnt be "in use", scanning, updating, etc. As I sit now without server as service, currently while typing this and streaming some online video my cpu is sitting @ 3-7%, temp 41 with fan at 60%... 

[EDIT] And no, these readings are not from after a cold boot

Edited by d1gger

• 3 weeks later...
saajan4u

I have all my storage etc. on a nas box and use a mini pc ZOTAC which an Atom just to act as a middle man connector.. and that handles it very well.. it struggles transcoding, but most of my clients are mbclassic in a hope to move it mbt in future once live tv etc. come to it.

I did it both as service and running the software. caused no problem.. so it is down to the way you're cooling it. don't think its anything to do with mb3. I'd definitely invest on a decent heat sink if I was you :)

• 8 months later...
docmarmo

I am having a similar problem, server just sitting idle and it is using a constant 20-30% CPU usage. If there are no clients connected why is there any significant usage? This is not a question of heat it is a question of usage. I could start a new thread but I figured this would be a good place to start.

Also this hasn't always been the case and even now trying to open and navigating the configuration page is very slow.

Edited by docmarmo

Start by removing plug-ins one by one and see if you can find the culprit.

Also be sure there are no ffmpeg processes running.

docmarmo
ebr, on 04 Feb 2015 - 10:41 AM, said:

Start by removing plug-ins one by one and see if you can find the culprit.

Also be sure there are no ffmpeg processes running.

Thanks for the quick response. I only have 1 plugin, ServerWMC, Uninstalled it and no change... Also ffmpeg is not running.

Are you sure the server isn't doing something like downloading actor images or creating chapter thumbs etc.?

docmarmo

Are you sure the server isn't doing something like downloading actor images or creating chapter thumbs etc.?

How would I know? I just tried uninstalling and checking off deleting everything and reinstalling and before I could config anything it is right @ 20-30% CPU

docmarmo

I have removed the single plugin ServerWMC. Still no change in CPU usage. Is there any other data I can supply to help troubleshoot?

Edited by docmarmo

docmarmo

After deleting all downloaded metadata the problem is now resolved. I also switched to Dev versions for now and so far very smooth and low cpu usage, except for ffmepeg while streaming which is expected.