Album artist detection error

EduardoSantos

EduardoSantos

Just added my music collection.

It seems B. B. King albums are not ok. There is no "B. B. King" as an album artist but there are two "B. B."s detected as album artists. 

I understand this artist name is commonly written "B.B. King" with no spaces between the "B."s. 

Anyway, it seems something went wrong with the scanning as both "B. B."s album artists have no records under them.

Following is an image of the web interface:

534dbe0c04481_Capturar.jpg

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

can you give more information, such as larger screenshots and your file system structure. thanks.

ginjaninja

U can check on musicbrainz.org exactly what the artist called and what his mbzid is. You can either ensure the id3 tags are correct or manually assign an mbzid in dashboard or I understand embed mbzid as a tag in the file. Not sure how to do this last one.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

FrostByte

This may be related to the other topic discussed recently where any artist with a "." in the name will not show correctly.  It usually stops after the last "." in the name from what I've seen.  I've had to manually go in using the web editor and change the name and musicbrainz id for artists like k.d. land, B.B. King and any others.  The tag in the audio file should match musicbrainz also.  In order for mediabrowser to show the albums under the artist I first had to fix those things.  For some reason it stops parsing the name after the last character.

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/6333-artist-name-is-initials-issue/

Oh, and it's not just "." which causes an issue, I also had to manually fix C+C Music Factory so it may be all special characters.

Edited by FrostByte

EduardoSantos

Thanks for the answers. Here are more detailed info on the subject:

I understand there are two issues here:

One would be the ability to sort out the name from the musicbrainz given that it is not equally written. This seems of less importance and I would not blame mediabrowser. Of course I would like to keep my current metadata but it is just not as the artist is listed on the musicbrainz provider.

So I would like to focus on the second problem which I think it is really a bug. This really seems the same as mentioned on this thread: http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/6333-artist-name-is-initials-issue/

And it affects not only B.B. King. On my library it affects all albums on those folders:

E:\Músicas\B. B. King

E:\Músicas\B. B. King; Eric Clapton

E:\Músicas\B. J. Thomas

E:\Músicas\Pierre-Laurent Aimard-Aka Pygmies

E:\Músicas\The B-52's

E:\Músicas\Ulsamer-Collegium\Terpsichore- Renaissance Dance Music

But surprisingly it doesn’t affect:

E:\Músicas\Dr. Hook

E:\Músicas\J. J. Johnson

E:\Músicas\K.T. Tunstall

E:\Músicas\Mary J. Blige

And it seems that metadata info was stored on various ways.

For the third path mentioned above, editing the album artist on the web interface shows:

Path: C:\Users\eduardo\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\ImagesByName\artists\Pierre-Laurent Aimard Aka Pygmies

As Luke requested, following are some screenshots:

534f1980a7b9a_Capturar.jpg

Editing B. B. Artist:

534f19e3085e5_Capturar.jpg

Editing Pierre-Laurent Aimard Aka Pygmies

534f1a8cd5f44_Capturar.jpg

Please feel free to ask any question.

Thanks in advance,

FrostByte

Ya, your second issue is exactly what I'm seeing with a lot of artist names with characters in it.  I have been able to fix all of the problem children by first checking to make sure the audio id tag matches musicbrainz and then using the editor and changing both the name field and musicbrainz id and then hitting save and either refresh or identify (sometimes one will work better then the other for me) and then rescanning.  My B.B. King artist originally showed up like yours but was able to finally manually massage it to look right by doing this and it brought in the rest of the metadata

534f41c14790f_bb.jpg

ginjaninja

As a counterpoint, all my artists with special characters show up properly using nothing but mp3tag to tidy up my tags. Some were not matched to music brainz automatically. I dont think mb3s logic has changed recently with regard to tag reading as normally such changes would be apparent on my library after a rescan. Changing the name field is not reccomended imo. Checking all your tags is. Mp3tag has a very useful filter function to home in on issues.

Edited by ginjaninja

ginjaninja

Thanks for the answers. Here are more detailed info on the subject:

I understand there are two issues here:

One would be the ability to sort out the name from the musicbrainz given that it is not equally written. This seems of less importance and I would not blame mediabrowser. Of course I would like to keep my current metadata but it is just not as the artist is listed on the musicbrainz provider.

So I would like to focus on the second problem which I think it is really a bug. This really seems the same as mentioned on this thread: http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/6333-artist-name-is-initials-issue/

And it affects not only B.B. King. On my library it affects all albums on those folders:

E:\Músicas\B. B. King

E:\Músicas\B. B. King; Eric Clapton

E:\Músicas\B. J. Thomas

E:\Músicas\Pierre-Laurent Aimard-Aka Pygmies

E:\Músicas\The B-52's

E:\Músicas\Ulsamer-Collegium\Terpsichore- Renaissance Dance Music

But surprisingly it doesn’t affect:

E:\Músicas\Dr. Hook

E:\Músicas\J. J. Johnson

E:\Músicas\K.T. Tunstall

E:\Músicas\Mary J. Blige

And it seems that metadata info was stored on various ways.

For the third path mentioned above, editing the album artist on the web interface shows:

Path: C:\Users\eduardo\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\ImagesByName\artists\Pierre-Laurent Aimard Aka Pygmies

As Luke requested, following are some screenshots:

534f1980a7b9a_Capturar.jpg

Editing B. B. Artist:

534f19e3085e5_Capturar.jpg

Editing Pierre-Laurent Aimard Aka Pygmies

534f1a8cd5f44_Capturar.jpg

Please feel free to ask any question.

Thanks in advance,

So did u get this sorted?

Other users have been able to clear up these situations by deleting releted folders in ibn\artists, clearing out relevant xml from local collection, tidying up tags (especially for track/albumb content showing under incorrect parents, deleting affected objects from mb3 . (all whilst mb3 is off). Then running a rescan of library.

Often I think the underlying issue is a mb3 confusion in ibn\artists xml precipated in part with metadata editing in dashboard rather than just fixing id3tags and allowing mb3 to sort itself out.

If you have all tags sorted and dont have any manual edits in dashboard, I have always found clearing out ibn\artists to sort mb3 out. There was a post a few months back my myself out doing just this when mb3 changed the way ibn\artists with special characters were stored.