Videos are not played on Android 7 on Thomson TV

Enrique1980

The EMBY application for Android phones (in my case Android 8) works perfectly from Internet

Because the mobile app has a provision forcing it to accept all certificates. Our TV app doesn't have this. The Emby Theater app also has this. Browsers don't have this but they allow you to click a button to override. The kodi plugin has this.

So what this means is that your cert will only work in our Android TV app, if the Android operating system considers it trusted.

Enrique1980
I do not get it. The only thing I can not do with Android TV from the Internet is to play videos. I browse the menus without problem, I see the photos without problem, change user settings without problem.

The only thing that fails is the videos

Is the certificate only checked to play videos? Because the presentations of my family photos I see them perfectly

If you can get into the app, then the problem is most likely not certificate related. Have you submitted an in-app log for @@ebr to review?

Hi. I have opened port 8086 on the router and I have directed it to port 8086 of the EMBY server. All applications (including AndroidTV) work perfectly if I configure them to work in HTTP on that port.

If I go back to the initial situation, all the applications work except the AndroidTV that still does not play the videos.

Then the problem is in the reverse proxy function. Something does (or does not) the application for AndroidTV that does not (or do) the rest of applications.

I have also done what you have asked me: Activate the DEBUG mode of the registry, restart the server and try to play a video with AndroidTV. I attached the log.

Let's see if we get a solution. Thanks for everything.

(Sorry if my English is not good, the Google translator helps me a little)

Hi.  I wanted you to play something in one of the apps (other than Theater) that does work so that I can compare the output.

Thanks.

Enrique1980

Solved with a workaround:

At the end, using this article: https://forums.plex.tv/t/qnap-qts-4-3-use-built-in-lets-encrypt-certificate-process-with-plex-media-server/177178, I have exported the "myqnapcloud.com" certificate in PKCS # 12 format and I have configured the EMBY server to use it on another port. Then I opened that port on the router and redirected it to the EMBY server. With this configuration (without reverse proxy), the EMBY application for AndroidTV works perfectly.

Therefore, the problem is that the EMBY application for AndroidTV does not work well with reverse proxy, while the rest of EMBY applications work well with reverse proxy.

I had not used this option before because this export has to be done periodically (every time the certificate is renewed)

Therefore, my problem is solved, but if you want us to continue doing tests, you tell me.
By the way, I think we should change the title of the this topic. We should title it as "The application for AndroidTV does not work well with reverse proxy" or something similar. Feel free to do it.
Edited by Enrique1980

mastrmind11

By the way, I think we should change the title of the this topic. We should title it as "The application for AndroidTV does not work well with reverse proxy" or something similar. Feel free to do it.

But that's not true.  There are tons of users (myself included) who use emby/ATV quite successfully behind a reverse proxy.  Not to mention your setup is far from standard.

mastrmind11

@@mastrmind11, Could you show a good reverse proxy configuration in which the EMBY client for AndroidTV is working correctly?

Thank you so much

Search these forums, there are multiple posts w/ both sample configs for both apache and nginx, as well as issues such as what you seem to be describing.  here's an example https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/64457-nginx-reverse-proxy-issue-cant-play-media/?hl=%2Breverse+%2Bproxy

you can also use Google to search for tutorials and sample config files that work with emby and/or plex

The problem was not the reverse-proxy but how you had it configured.  I doubt your other apps were working optimally either (but needed to see the log I requested to confirm).  Something in the configuration was removing information that the app was sending to the server.

Enrique1980
Yes, I see that the problem was in the reverse proxy configuration, thanks and apologies

And would you know to tell me a correct reverse proxy configuration for Apache or tell me where my error is? I have searched and only find a correct configuration if I use NGINX

I'm sorry but I'm not aware of us ever being able to find the exact cause of this but we have seen it happen before.  If you can discover it somewhere, let's be sure to document it here and pin it.

Thanks!

pir8radio

Yes, I see that the problem was in the reverse proxy configuration, thanks and apologies

And would you know to tell me a correct reverse proxy configuration for Apache or tell me where my error is? I have searched and only find a correct configuration if I use NGINX

Switch to nginx   :)    does all the same things as apache. 

• Like 1