Installing MB3 server on Windows 2012 Server Core installation

bigddybn

bigddybn

Trying to get the server service installed on a server 2012 core installation but keep getting an error that I'm not sure what to do with.

Error Creating Shortcut

System.ArgumentException

Value does not fall within the expected range.

I feel like I am missing something obvious here but not sure what.

jKwoEkJl.jpg

snazy2000

It's stuck as creating shortcut maybe it can't make one as server core doesn't have desktop mode

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

What does the install log say?  I suspect the server is already successfully installed.

bigddybn

It's stuck as creating shortcut maybe it can't make one as server core doesn't have desktop mode

Agreed but how do I get around it? Is there a way to bypass shortcut creation?

snazy2000

You could try install the desktop on server 2012 then install MB then uninstall the desktop again.

the installer should be updated to recover from the error and continue. It looks like right now it quits due to the failure.

• 4 months later...

For those, like me, which are encountering the same issue, yes the server is correctly installed. You only have to start the app (%appdata%\MedaiBrowser-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe), or start the "MediaBrowser" service ("sc start MediaBrowser").

Note that you must be logged as administrator on the server when you install MediaBrowser to get the service configured. Else you will have to do it by youself : "sc create MediaBrowser "binPath=%appdata%\MedaiBrowser-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe -service""