Start emby with a custom ffmpeg

hackthis02

hackthis02

I've been trying for what is probably an embarrassingly long time to get emby to use the default ffmpeg on my Odroid UX4. 

The closest I've gotten was to run 

sudo ./opt/emby-server/bin/emby-server -programdata /var/lib/emby -ffmpeg /usr/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /usr/bin/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3 -updatepackage emby

But even when I get that to run it still shows that it's using the default ffmpeg at /opt/emby-server/bin/ffmpeg. I'll admit I'm not fluent with Linux, so if anyone could point me in the right direction.

That really should work just fine. See the command line at the beginning of the server log, and use the same command line but just change the values.

What are you trying to accomplish? You're going to lose new features that we've added to ffmpeg.

hackthis02

That's basically what I didn't get that command. I'm not sure if it's my setup or what but I have hardware transcoding enabled but the emby ffmpeg still uses a lot more CPU then the OS one. So I wanted to switch and see how it worked.

hackthis02

Here are the logs from the server, emby's ffmpeg, and the OS ffmpeg

Both are transcoding the same file using the same line. The only difference is the os version doesn't have the -profile:v high setting. 

The thing I noticed was the line

Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (h264 (native) -> h264 (libx264)) - emby

vs.

Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (h264 (h264_v4l2m2m) -> h264 (libx264)) - OS

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-1b69d3e9-7165-4f81-b723-093e4987bec3.txt

OS ffmpeg.txt

Edited by hackthis02

In the emby log it looks like you did not enable any hardware transcoding. did you try turning on vaapi?

Ok for that i think you will have to bring your own ffmpeg. i'm not sure our ffmpeg build is including those libs. At least not at this point. We are including vaapi.

hackthis02

Okay, but that leads me back to my original question. When I give emby custom ffmpeg to use it still uses the included ones.

I'm saying due to recent changes in the server it might be very difficult to launch with a custom ffmpeg, at least on linux. It's not really something we've been putting much effort into actively testing.

• 4 months later...
hackthis02

I finally figured this out. For any other uses that need the info I was able to select a custom FFMPEG by editing /opt/emby-server/bin/emby-server

hackthis02

I don't need it anymore. Just putting the information out there for anyone else that might.

• Thanks 1