Questions new to Emby

alturismo

alturismo

Hello,

im currently a Pl.. user, as i heard Emby should be better (easier) for LiveTV i wanted to gave it a try.

so after a good day usage i have some questions wich i couldnt get solved yet ...running emby docker on unraid Version 3.6.0.61 beta

i tested live tv in 2 ways with the same result,

1. m3u with xmltv,

2. TVHeadend plugin,

both give me a guide and a channel list, both i can playback from outside (mobile, web behind reverse proxy, ...),

both i almost never get a playback in browser @ home (LAN), just a black screen with a circle ... no drama but 1st tests where local and i almost

thought nothing is working, just out of interest after some time i tested my mobile device and voila, all working, strange behavior ...

then emby app on a shield android tv (samsung app in germany still not available since how many years ?), very nice is the auto refresh setting,

so it switches from 2160p60 to 1080p50 as supposed to, but, zapping is weird cause then its switching from playback 1080p50 - 2160p60 circle loading - 1080p50 ...

also not dramatic, just as note cause tv refreshes all the time ;)

issue here is just the local playback on pc´s ... may someone a hint what could be wrong, specially when setup playback to auto, when i set a fixed value it mostly works,

but not always ... and no entries in logs, just remuxing like playback would work ... also no GUI in browser so i could go back, only refresh site will bring me back.

in this situation i see that TVHeadend backend is streaming to emby, in emby i see its remuxing, but .... may someone has a hint.

what is also a bit confusing is when using the plugin, there are 0 entries in LiveTV settings ...just empty if theres nothing setted up .. in services as installed service, just as note.

another question about livetv would be, searching for something and mark to record ... is this possible when using TVHeadend as source, or only when using m3u and

schedules direct EPG ... wich is a shame to assign channels, no alphabetical order in dropdown from emby ... etc etc ...

now, scraping movies ... is there a plugin or a solution for movie scraping, i d say my file naming should be pretty fine as PL.. and the name shown in emby is the name wich i type to

identify the movie and all seems ok ... very frustrating to see almost no movies where scraped, i d say ~ 70 % are not found by emby ... and i cant find anything in settings to adjust something,

like use folder or file match etc ... wich should both work ...

also after manually identifying some yesterday, when i check today im pretty sure also of them i did already yesterday ... possible it falls back or imagination cause i resetted the librarys ;)

samples from naming, this is from metadata info emby

/mnt/HDDVDR/Jurassic World 2015/Jurassic World 2015 2160p.mkv

this movie is not fetched by emby ... i assume cause the year is regular and not in (), that is grown like this here cause () can be harmful when using scrapers or scripts ...

so i have to identify this movie as "Jurassic World" and then im good, as all my movies have this naming theme ... am i just now ... or is there a solution (without renaming all ...) ?

Finally 1 big issue for me, hardware de/encoding, i have the docker setup like in plex where de and encoding is working (x264 and HEVC).

now in emby it seems like ONLY n264 encoding is working ... even logs say enable ... but as soon as i start a HEVC stream i see a very high cpu usage ...

also h264 decoding seems to be software ... wich is not a drama, but also should be hw accelerated, anything todo or in progress here ?

like this its impossible to watch hevc content outside (when theres no direct stream possible) ...

thanks ahead for may pointing me to some directions.

in the end majors im clueless are

- movie scraper

- live tv in browser (chrome, edge, ...) @ home.

- hardware acceleration

thanks ahead.

may why considering emby, it seems (not yet tested) easier connection to kodi with libraries ... and livetv advantages (currently not really cause TVHeadend direct it doesnt read the xml fully)

alturismo

playback Live @@lan in browser resolved by itself, no idea why cause i cant reproduce a fail anymore, stream always starts now, also with setting on auto, so all good.

one issue i see described at the end.

playback live tv on a device like a shield still produces the double refresh on a zap (may a idea to keep refresh rate steady until new stream is coming and switch then if necessary)

and when hitting stop also revert to standard stream ... or give a option what is the default resolution / refresh rate.

only intereseting when playback livetv cause theres the only personal usecase for zapping in my mind.

using a plugin for LiveTv like TVHeadend plugin and NOT showing up as tuner is possible by design, i kept it now as m3u tuner, no issue here.

scraping movies, i renamed all my movies now, from "year" to "(year)" and all movies where scraped, just weird that the year without brackets makes the scraper to fail completely more or less, solved ;)

hardware acceleration, u already pointed me there in another thread and i know now that its currently limited to x264 encoding only, no x264 / x265 hevc decoding yet with vaapi, so i wait ...

---

one playback break i figured yesterday is when i edit my file (cut commercials)

use case, emby records a show, i use avimux to cut the commercials and remux to mkv (and there is also a older version available).

when the "old" file is still there web player says no compatible stream available ...

when i now remove the "old" file stream plays just fine, i guess emby has issues when there are more streams for an episode available ...

this ONLY occurs on web player, kodi for example i get a menu to choose wich version to play and all just play fine, just as note.

what wonders me here is that emby is putting the different versions together (what i generally would prefer) but on movies i have some 1080p x264 and 2160p x265 version and they are always seperated as 2 movies ...

see attached files

ps. may a hint howto get rid of the nfo files on records ? i dont see an option to remove them ... only occurs on records from emby, no imported shows or movies (disabled in library), thanks ahead ;)

post-112497-0-00820200-1542091550_thumb.png

post-112497-0-76634000-1542091588_thumb.png

Edited by alturismo

alturismo

And the server/ffmpeg logs for the playback failure?

there are no transcode / mux logs at all ... here is a server log now from today.

2 episodes recorded (s03e09 and s03e10), both with the upper described failure ...

both episodes exist also in an old format ... when i wipe the "old" original file playback works.

see attached log if u see any errors regarding existing files ...

abour naming schema and grouping, not yet ;) im still at the start, just wondered why they grouped in episodes here and not at all in movies, i ll check that.

alturismo

And the server/ffmpeg logs for the playback failure?

there are no transcode / mux logs at all ... here is a server log now from today.

2 episodes recorded, both with the upper described failure ...

see attached log.

log.txt

Can you please attach the server log starting from the beginning and also indicate at what time you tried to play? Thanks.

alturismo

Can you please attach the server log starting from the beginning and also indicate at what time you tried to play? Thanks.

sure, it was the end of the last log, heres the full log from today ... and just started another time so easier to find ...

again, last entries is the playback try.

2018-11-13 19:12:29.051 Info App: User policy for alturismo. EnablePlaybackRemuxing: True EnableVideoPlaybackTranscoding: True EnableAudioPlaybackTranscoding: True
2018-11-13 19:12:29.051 Info App: Bitrate exceeds DirectStream limit: media bitrate: 5128271, max bitrate: 4000000
2018-11-13 19:12:29.051 Info App: Profile: Unknown Profile, Path: /mnt/TVRIPS/Buffy - Im Bann der Dämonen/Season 3/Buffy .......

Log.txt

alturismo

So you hit play on a series folder? is that correct?

doesnt matter where i hit play, as long both versions here are present this error occurs.

as soon i wipe the old version its working (takes a minute or so until emby updates).

usually i hit the season on latest tv shows from start screen, go into the season, hit play on the episode ...

its a odd usecase, an old version of an show my woman likes and i just record the 1080 remastered version ;)

just wondered cause of the error ...

happens on the original .ts recorded file and also after i cutted the file with (commercials) .mkv.

1st i thought its an error with the mkv, but its the same behavior without touching anything ... so something wrong when those 2 versions are available, no issue to me cause im gonna wipe the old ones, just a note theres something wrong.

post-112497-0-88463900-1542230384_thumb.png