Issue with Interlaced Content and MPV on Live TV

Sammy

Watching Live TV on my ShieldTV using MPV and it says the content is interlaced in "Stats for Nerds" and transcoding but the server "bounces" back and forth between Direct Playing and Transcoding. The playback is very choppy and nearly unwatchable with the audio going out of sync with the video.

I stop the stream and turn off MPV in the Live TV settings then try again and the playback is much much smoother. Audio seems to be in sync with the video.

A few Screen Shots, Server and two ffmpeg logs attached.

Emby Server Log 20181107.txt

ffmpeg log 20181107_346.txt

ffmpeg log 20181107_353.txt

e26d9b95c58c0ec3e92c3877d5318afd.jpg

MPV = Choppy Playback Audio Sync Issues

c5dd135201bda398f526bd8d5a2e5794.jpg

ExoPlayer = Much Much better playback

Edited by Sammy

BTW, what is "Allow Video Stream Copy" in the Live TV Settings page on Android TV / Shield TV? It is on by default.

Using MPV should no longer be necessary. It will probably be removed in a future version.

I have never had good results using MPV for LiveTV. I am not exactly sure how it got turned on on this particular Shield TV. It was driving me nuts last night trying to watch election results on the local news.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Spaceboy

What amazes me is why if people have something that’s working, do you start enabling other options and questioning their functionality. Just accept that there are settings there for some and not all people. If exo works for you why enable mpv?

The other answer is that mpv was essential for a while but almost useless now

What amazes me is why if people have something that’s working, do you start enabling other options and questioning their functionality. Just accept that there are settings there for some and not all people. If exo works for you why enable mpv?

The other answer is that mpv was essential for a while but almost useless now

First off, I did not enable it myself. It seems that after the last app update it got enabled as a default but I'm not sure. Stating such a thing in such a manner is condescending.

Secondly, I've not used MPV for LiveTV as it has always been problematic for me. I'm not sure when it ever was useful but maybe before I started using ShieldTV's about 3 to 4 months ago?

Using MPV should no longer be necessary. It will probably be removed in a future version.

Also want to note that playback of the same channel on another ShieldTV and TV resulted in a ReMux and not a transcode in "Stats for Nerds" when using ExoPlayer. Transcoding was through a Denon AVR 2312ci to a Panasonic VT60 Plasma and Remux was directly played on a cheapo Avera 4K TV.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

First off, I did not enable it myself. It seems that after the last app update it got enabled as a default but I'm not sure.

Actually, the last update did just the opposite (turned it off for everyone) so I'm not sure how it got turned back on in your setup.  In any case, as long as the default is working for you now then its all good.

Thanks.

• Like 1

BTW, what is "Allow Video Stream Copy" in the Live TV Settings page on Android TV / Shield TV? It is on by default.

If you turn it off, we won't just do a remux when required.  We'll be sure we fully transcode the video.  Leave it enabled.  You would only disable it if you had a situation where remuxes weren't working (there are some European live streams that don't).